C3g Aikido Phono

What people are working on at the moment
Nick
Site Admin

#316 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by Nick »

I would check the frequency response. 470u and 10r is at 33hz -3dB
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#317 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Good spot, I'd not even considered this. 2200uF would probably be better, starting to get quite large.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#318 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

I've done a great deal of prevaricating with this. I've been back and forth with single and parallel versions of PCBs for the Boozehound, even considered just building it point to point on perf board. Anyway I'm going to get a parallel version fabbed which I can use as a single first, then add a second.
Boozehound MC Pre-Preamp Parallel2.png
Boozehound MC Pre-Preamp Parallel2.png (189 KiB) Viewed 810 times
I've drawn up the TubeCAD MC Pre-preamp too, this one's a stereo board because of the dual channel op amp used in the direct coupled version with DC servo.
TubeCAD MC Pre-Preamp2.png
TubeCAD MC Pre-Preamp2.png (165.74 KiB) Viewed 810 times
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#319 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

For power I was going to use 9V batteries, but I think I'll go with 4 no. 4R25 6V torch batteries. They should last for a very long time and allows me to use +12V and -12V for the TubeCAD, and +12V up to +24V for the Boozehound. I'm still thinking about how I'll implement this, but I'm thinking a box to put the 4 in, 2x2, with a switch to select +/-12V or 24V. I'm probably overthinking it and clipleads to get going will be fine!

A power connecter for the two rail supply is easy - a simple barrel connector will do. But any suggestions for a low voltage connector for 3 rails - +12V, 0V, -12V?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#320 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

I've also been playing with another all-in-one PCB for the phono itself in KiCAD, but I've done a few layouts and I'm not really very happy with any of them. And there's a risk I make it worse.

So I've drafted a smaller version of the RIAA filter board back in Eagle, hoping this might improve the small amount of hum that's going in to the Aikido stage. Nick picked up on the large pads I'd made so I could use different capacitors in the RIAA and suggested that they might be a bit of an aerial. Fingers crossed.

This is the new board:
C3g phono rev 1 - RIAA.png
C3g phono rev 1 - RIAA.png (91.64 KiB) Viewed 809 times
This is the existing:
RIAA render final.png
RIAA render final.png (116.56 KiB) Viewed 809 times
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#321 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

The PCBs arrived yesterday so first job was to replace the RIAA filter board. Using my DMM on VAC (no point me trying to do it with a scope!) and it looks like there's 1mV less with the new board. The volume really does need to be all the way up now with no music playing to hear the hum. Nice.

Next job is to think about the parts for the MC pre-preamp boards. Or maybe ordering a new heater trafo from Toroidy to replace the current EI that buzzes/hums. Then I can box it up.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#322 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

A question for Nick. IIRC you mentioned when I popped round that you use ceramic caps to ground the input phonos - I used film as that's what I had to hand - are ceramics a better choice for this application? Does it make any difference?
Nick
Site Admin

#323 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by Nick »

Well, I may be wrong, but ceramic is generally used for RF as they have lower impedance than film for a given capacitance so better for HF.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#324 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

:thumbright:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#325 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Nuts. I bought a couple of these to switch the battery power on an off for the MC pre-preamps I'm playing with.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/ ... 2F2g%3D%3D

Turns out they don't come with a locking nut... I didn't check the detail cos they always come with a locking nut, right? Wrong! According to the datasheet it's an M61 thread, whatever that it. M6 nuts don't fit. Google hasn't helped me so far, anyone know what a M61 thread is? Might avoid having to buy two more switches if I can find appropriate nuts.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#326 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by pre65 »

It says bushing size 1/4 x 40 tpi, UNS I believe.

So, try these for size ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204738273228 ... R5qWuLHcYw

https://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/unifie ... hread.html
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#327 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Brill, thanks Phil, I've been able to work it out with your help. £2.69 for two nuts hurts though! :lol: