Hooking up Subwoofer with Class D amplifier

For the three and more legged things
chris
User

#1 Hooking up Subwoofer with Class D amplifier

Post by chris »

Just double checking if it's possible to connect my subwoofer to my dac pre out?

As I am using monoblocks amps similar to Class D with floating earth and did not want to connect via the speaker cable as I did with previous amplifier.

This is the spec for the dac : Line level output: 6V rms balanced; 3V rms unbalanced.

The spec for subwoofer:

XLR input terminals (pair)

This is the terminal where signals are input if the subwoofer (super woofer) output terminal on the AV amplifier or other device, or the amplifier line output terminal, is an XLR connector.

So I am using at the moment the RCA out on Varible output to my amps and want to know if I can use the XLR varible out put at the same time to the Subwoofer?

https://www.eclipse-td.com/uk/download/ ... manual.pdf

https://www.avstore.ro/dac-uri/chord-el ... 000/#tab-2

Chris
chris
User

#2 Re: Hooking up Subwoofer with Class D amplifier

Post by chris »

Could I assume that the outputs are independently buffered so there’s no issue with having a different load connected to the XLR and RCA outputs?

There are different voltage shown on the dac's spec between the XLR and RCA, does indicate that they are independently buffered?

Chris
Nick
Site Admin

#3 Re: Hooking up Subwoofer with Class D amplifier

Post by Nick »

Could I assume that the outputs are independently buffered so there’s no issue with having a different load connected to the XLR and RCA outputs
Its likely, but no way of saying for sure without knowing the circuit of the dac. Its possible the output of the DAC goes to both the single ended and XLR output buffer, or it may be that the single ended output is just the +ve output from the XLR driver.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
rowuk
Old Hand

#4 Re: Hooking up Subwoofer with Class D amplifier

Post by rowuk »

I would say, just try it. If it hums, you know that there is a ground loop to deal with. If not - proceed to the enjoyment stage.

What we do not know: is this for your home audio, or for PA purposes.

I often wonder why symmetrical connections (other than transformer coupling) are of any interest in the home (perhaps with the exception of a phono or reel to reel tape pre amp). Getting 2 amps to be perfect mirrors of one another is an engineering feat, in my humble view mostly without any sonic gains.

If it because of electrical noise, I would offer that fixing that is far easier.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
chris
User

#5 Re: Hooking up Subwoofer with Class D amplifier

Post by chris »

Thanks Nick for your reply, I was just guessing on the premiss that the difference in voltage output.

Line level output: 6V rms balanced; 3V rms unbalanced.

But I can see if the balanced is getting 2x3v rms and the unbalanced is sharing one rail and getting 3v rms?
Attachments
chord-dsx1000-reference-music-player-streamer-slika-182319455.jpg
chord-dsx1000-reference-music-player-streamer-slika-182319455.jpg (54.98 KiB) Viewed 8982 times
chris
User

#6 Re: Hooking up Subwoofer with Class D amplifier

Post by chris »

Thanks Rowuk for your post, I was just wanting to check before causing any damage to my equipment, I've had the subs sitting idle since getting my monoblocks, it would be good to be able to try them out.
brig001
Old Hand

#7 Re: Hooking up Subwoofer with Class D amplifier

Post by brig001 »

rowuk wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:25 pm I would say, just try it. If it hums, you know that there is a ground loop to deal with. If not - proceed to the enjoyment stage.
I agree ground loops are a likely cause, but hooking a load of Class II equipment together with single-ended interconnects can be a humming nightmare without any ground loops
This is a good read about the mechanisms involved, though I'm not sure signal isolation transformers are needed in every case:
https://www.jensen-transformers.com/wp- ... /an004.pdf

Brian