DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

For the three and more legged things
steve s
Shed dweller

#436 Re: DIY Transistor Amp Using NVA Boards

Post by steve s »

I think my preference in presentation is similar to your preference, but I'm not sure damping is the deciding factor in quality.
There is a level of self damping in drivers that seems preferable to me. Self damping and acceleration tend to go hand in hand.
My preference is that type of driver, one that usually provides good driver exceleration and hopefully realistic leading edges to the notes.

Where as amplifier damping provides stopping power, too much of which ( if that possible) should make little difference too higher efficiency drivers, although possibly a more accurate waveform on less efficient drivers ?

Bass drivers are the exception where its unlikely for a higher efficiency driver to be completely self damped. But as ever comprimise and personal preference comes in ?
My view is the articulation or lifelikeness, is little to do with damping factor, its down many aspects of amplifier design, and the speakers ability to follow the music signal.. the leading edges of that is especially important.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number