Radford amp

If they glow, this is the place to be
bcorn
User

#1 Radford amp

Post by bcorn »

Has any one here re-stored or built a Radford ST25 Valve amp, if so , could you tell me if you thought it was a good sounding amp compared with other valve amps.

bcorn aka acorn
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, they are good sounding PP amps, just repaired a ST15 as it happens. Good transformers.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Before Peter Comeau went bust with his WD business and probably his Arena Electronics parent companies, owning the Radford name, he was seeking to replicate this amp commercially. His significant problem was finding a transformer winding company that could replicate the transformer design of the original ST25. He went bust before any conclusion was reached.

As Nick says, very good transformers. Nothing more needs to be said after that. You can do your own tweaking to the rest of the circuit.

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
bcorn
User

#4 Radford amps

Post by bcorn »

Yes they are interesting amps, I note that there is one company making
be-spoke Radford amps at this present moment at around the 2K mark.

bcorn
bcorn
User

#5 Radford amps

Post by bcorn »

Has you stated Greg, the problem would be sourcing the output transforms but I am not sure what is so special about them, does any one know?.

bcorn
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Sowter do them for £190 each, I dont think there was any extra magic, just cost a bit to make because of the winding schedule.

I have no reason to believe Sowters copies are not as good as the original.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

It certainly seems that it was the transformers that made them what they are. After Arthur Radford ceased trading, Woodside Electronics took over servicing and a bit of development with his blessing, and in a separate development some years later Peter got hold of the name and attempted to create a revival. As Greg says above, that ground to a halt when Peter went to China, but the two strands came together again a year or two ago in the shape of Raford Revival which is a continuation of Woodside's activities. Peter has ceded all rights to them, I think, and crucially they've managed to unearth Arthur's original detailed specs for all of the transformers, allowing exact replicas to be made. They do seem to have gone a bit quiet lately, but their website is here:

http://www.radfordrevival.co.uk/
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

I had a st15 a few years ago, it was one of the best 'bought' amps i've heard, i decided to part with it when i got divorced a few years back... Big mistake looking back.. The amp, not the divorce
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number