driving licenses

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 driving licenses

Post by ed »

curious thing...

I've just received a missive from DVLA telling me I must renew my driving licence..as driving licences must be renewed every 10 years.
Now I've just worked out that I've had a driving licence for 51 years and apart from swapping from the red book, I've never had to renew it.

when did this sneaky little bit of legislation come to pass?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#2 Re: driving licenses

Post by Toppsy »

Ed,
I'm not aware of this requirement and could not find anything online. However as I'm sure you are aware one has to renew ones driving licence at age 70 and then renew every 3 years after that.

Be aware though that when renewing at age 70 you check you still have all the same groups on your new licence you had on your old. They assume you will not be driving lorries etc. or towing caravans etc and that you just need a standard car and/or motorbike licence and remove the other classes. So be vigilant.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: driving licenses

Post by Cressy Snr »

If you have a photo driving licence, your photo expires after 10 years.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: driving licenses

Post by IslandPink »

I'm curious to know what's required myself. I've had the same non-photo driving license since 1984. Nobody official has asked me to do anything about it, but I've heard rumours I might have to renew it.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
shane
Social outcast

#5 Re: driving licenses

Post by shane »

Having heard horror stories about applications taking months to be processed I sent of my online renewal on the maximum 90 days before my 70th next January.
New license arrived four days later!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: driving licenses

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:39 am curious thing...

I've just received a missive from DVLA telling me I must renew my driving licence..as driving licences must be renewed every 10 years.
Now I've just worked out that I've had a driving licence for 51 years and apart from swapping from the red book, I've never had to renew it.

when did this sneaky little bit of legislation come to pass?
I remember renewing my license when it went to the two part type, and then again when it went to the current one part type. I think the initial change was when I last moved house. Have you lived at the same address for the last 51 years ed?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: driving licenses

Post by pre65 »

When I was asked to renew my driving licence it was because I had passed 70 years of age.

In order to retain ALL of my previous groups I would have had to have a medical examination, and at the time it was almost impossible to see a doctor, so after a thinking session I gave up some groups. Seems I can re-apply should I need to at some future date.

So now, for the first time, I have a photo card type licence, and no paper at all.

I did it online and they took my passport photo from "the files" , although that may change next renewal in 2024.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#8 Re: driving licenses

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:38 pm
I remember renewing my license when it went to the two part type, and then again when it went to the current one part type. I think the initial change was when I last moved house. Have you lived at the same address for the last 51 years ed?
I've been at this address for 20 years....

I've just read the details on my photo licence and it states 14-01-12 to 13-01-22 so it's possible I did renew it..but I have absolutely no memory of doing it....

the letter says if I do it online I will get the new licence within 1 week...mmm
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: driving licenses

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:59 pm
the letter says if I do it online I will get the new licence within 1 week...mmm
I don't remember waiting a long time when I renewed mine Ed.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#10 Re: driving licenses

Post by shane »

The delays seem to happen when there’s no existing photo available from the passport office. As I say, mine came back last month in four days.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Neal
Shed dweller

#11 Re: driving licenses

Post by Neal »

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12 Re: driving licenses

Post by jack »

What amazed me is that the 77 year old vicar with macular degeneration who ran full pelt into the back of my landrover has just had his eyes tested...

...and been passed fit to drive!

By his own admission he has trouble handling transitions between light and dark.

It can only be a good thing that you're retested regularly as you get older for the sake of your own and others' safety.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt