ISP cap

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 ISP cap

Post by ed »

Streaming protocols...

Last month we went over our ISP broadband cap....big waily
The ISP gives a rough breakdown of usage over the month and recently a portion of the usage has been catalogued as quic.

I know Roblox is Sebastian gaming and I’m guessing Amazon is prime film viewing and Skype is self evident.

Does anybody know what streaming service would use quic? It’s only recently appeared on the breakdown. I considered that it might be zoom because we’ve recently upped our usage of zoom for Seb’s piano lessons and some of Sandrines’ one to one French teaching..about 1 hour per week...but I don’t know if zoom is the culprit for certain.
usage 1.jpg
that picture represents over 75gB, 50% of our allowance....if we carry on with this usage we'll run over again....I'm going to start paying attention to what we use and when.

quic anybody?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: ISP cap

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#3 Re: ISP cap

Post by ed »

thanks..the wiki article was the first place I visited but I'll admit I didn't look too deeply.

I asked because the wiki article didn't seem to be going where I wanted...No specific finger at recent adoptees....It has only appeared in the pie chart since Oct/Nov so I reasoned it must be a new player.....possibly erroneously because the ISP might have changed their reporting method and only recently included it.

The Youtube idea would hold water, except we don't use it very much and it's included in the pie chart under it's own category.....unless it's being measured twice?

I think I may have to ask the ISP...what's changed in their reporting and exactly what is included in the quic category....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: ISP cap

Post by pre65 »

Ed, have you considered a broadband supplier with no caps ?

Last time I had capped broadband I ended up paying more (through excess use) than the uncapped offer from the same supplier.(BT, but many years ago)

It's nice not to worry about one usage, especially with a family of users.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: ISP cap

Post by Nick »

I think when I searched, youtube on android was using quic, but its not something I know much about (never heard of it before now).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#6 Re: ISP cap

Post by jack »

I don't think Zoom is the culprit.

QUIC is an experimental protocol from Google - every time you connect to a Google server, e.g. via Chrome, it tries to use QUIC (Quick UDP Internet Connection). Zoom uses encrypted UDP and TLS over TCP, i.e. pretty vanilla stuff.

I didn't think anyone else used it yet.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt