Extending Wi-fi

Subjects that don't have their own home
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#16 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

Are we looking at the same think Nick - it says WiFi router?

https://www.linksys.com/gb/p/P-EA7300/

I was thinking that it would be a bit of a ballache having to reassign all the ip addresses with a new router. There again I sometimes wonder if the router's a bit glitchy. Is a router a router? Or are some better than others?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#17 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by jack »

A router doesn't assign IP addresses - the DHCP server does that... and it typically (but not necessarily) runs on the router box (which is normally just a small embedded Linux server).

A distinct wireless router shouldn't get involved in the assignment of IP addresses.

Interestingly it has a WAN port, so I suspect it could do DHCP if asked and could replace your Plusnet router/modem if you got a separate modem, e.g. a Draytek Vigor 130.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#18 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

Ah yes, probably showing my lack of understanding. Whenever I've played with DHCP it's been on the modem router, so therefore DHCP server = modem router. Obviously.

So I can add the Linksys say on to the wired network and just plug and play, or at least configure the SSID and play? Or would there be two routers on the network fighting each other?
Nick
Site Admin

#19 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

Just disable the WIFI on the existing router, configure the new wifi setup as required and connect a rj45 between the old and new and you should be good to go. Your existing box will still function as the router to the rest of the internet, will handle DHCP allocation and talk to any wired devices. The new Wifi part will just allow wireless devices to connect to that network.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#20 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by jack »

Without more research, I couldn't say for certain, but it should be fine as long it's on your subnet.

Edit: crossed with nicks post
Nick
Site Admin

#21 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

You can probably get the new router to do more or less of the jobs of the existing one, Normally they have simple modes to chose from so it will just be a access point.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#22 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

Looking at the specs,
Operation Modes:

Wireless Router
Access Point
Should be fine.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#23 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

Cool thanks. What could possibly go wrong? :-D
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#24 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

It's arriving tomorrow, but may be the weekend before I play with it.
Neal
Shed dweller

#25 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Neal »

Just make sure the new router default IP isn’t the same as your existing one, :wink:
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#26 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

Presumably nothing bad will happen, they just won't play nicely? And if it is the same I'll be able to access the new wifi router and change it''s IP address so the existing modem router can then talk to it?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#27 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by jack »

simon wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:14 pm Presumably nothing bad will happen, they just won't play nicely? And if it is the same I'll be able to access the new wifi router and change it''s IP address so the existing modem router can then talk to it?
Stating the obvious, just make sure you set it to DHCP or if you want it to have a static address, one that is on the right subnet and not in the DHCP pool, i.e. in the range reserved for static use.
Nick
Site Admin

#28 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:14 pm Presumably nothing bad will happen, they just won't play nicely? And if it is the same I'll be able to access the new wifi router and change it''s IP address so the existing modem router can then talk to it?
Yep, it won't create a wormhole and destroy the house, But its something to check if its not playing as you expect. Neal is right to mention it.

Normally you set the access point up to get its ip address either via DHCP or by setting it manually to a value outside of the main routers DHCP pool. Then check the Access point has the routers address as the default gateway, and its subnet mask and LAN address as matching your network (all of which it may get via DHCP) then set your SSID and channel and any WiFi Authentication settings you want to use. The just a matter of connecting all your devices to the new access point using your authentication settings or the WPS button.

IPv4 setup on a LAN is very simple once you get used to it, It only gets more complex when you have multiple networks or subnets and firewalls and routers between them which most never need to.
Neal
Shed dweller

#29 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by Neal »

Simon if you have an IP clash you won’t be able to access either of the routers management interfaces. Just check before hand they are not the same, you’ll want them on the same subnet though, IE one on 192.168.1.254 and the new one on 192.168.1.253 or similar. I’d use a static IP as you’ll always know what address the router is on the network
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#30 Re: Extending Wi-fi

Post by simon »

Thanks for the tips chaps, let's see how plug and play user friendly/idiot proof it is