Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#256 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by jack »

The issue here is the chemistry of the batteries and the overall efficiency of the system.

If there was significant waste heat, you'd hope the battery would warm during use, so you'd just need pre-heat to get going...

Many years ago I lived in Newfoundland - the winters there were bitter - down to -40C - the oil in the sump used to freeze.

Many cars has block heaters you could plug in overnight or when parked up. We just used a 40W or 60W work light on the floor under the sump.

Once you got going, normally it was ok, though my brother's car once seized frozen solid whilst he was driving in a storm.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Greg
Social outcast

#257 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

I recall my grandfather had a small paraffin heater for placing under the car sump during winter months. He lived in Southampton!
steve s
Shed dweller

#258 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

Phil that video seems not too different when it comes to range to what I posted a couple of pages back.

A long weekend parked without a cable attached in a uk winter could prove similar losses
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#259 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

It also highlights another thing in how much electricity is a ev using when it's not being used, ie parked up and plugged in, in sub zero conditions
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#260 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

We used to regularly get a few days off school in the winter when the diesel in the school bus would go waxy, until they eventually fitted a heater to the bus.
Neal
Shed dweller

#261 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

I like the look of this even with the software issues....could do without the coloured accents in the cabin though!

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#262 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

"you have to accept the compromises of the electric car".

Good honest review, I like his videos.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Michael L
Old Hand

#263 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Michael L »

There's a lot of tech to fiddle with. I wonder if the safety gizmos can spot a pedestrian/cyclist/motorcyclist when the drivers attention is diverted.
I'm glad I did most of my motorcycling before handsfree phones and pretty screens came on the scene.
Michael L
Old Hand

#264 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Michael L »

Ali Tait wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:25 pm By the time all Brexit consequences have come to pass, I doubt we will be making much of anything.
(From the Guardian letters column)
Here’s a list of the plastic patriots who sold Brexit to the British people as they moved their businesses, residences and taxes out of Britain.

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#265 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ray P »

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#266 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Seen this... yes revenue from electric cars will be challenging. Not an issue they will just increase the revenue on fuel for the remaining uses of fossil fuels. £5 a litre by 2030 wouldn’t surprise me.
steve s
Shed dweller

#267 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

vinylnvalves wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:29 am Not an issue they will just increase the revenue on fuel for the remaining uses of fossil fuels. £5 a litre by 2030 wouldn’t surprise me.
Better stock up.. I remember in the 70s when there was a fuel strike looming my dad had 5 x 45 gallon drums of petrol behind the shed.. !!
At that time he stopped me soldering / using a blow lamp in there.. so I had to do it when he was at work 😀
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#268 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Cressy Snr »

What the hell is wrong with reintroducing the old road fund licence. The bigger/heavier the vehicle, the more you pay. Electric or liquid fuelled, it makes no difference. Or is that too simple for the idiots in government. Road pricing is the most ridiculous idea I’ve ever heard and will hit the poorest the hardest, as is usual from this bunch of arseholes.
Bring in road pricing, I give up driving. Simple as that.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#269 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

steve s wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:36 am
vinylnvalves wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:29 am Not an issue they will just increase the revenue on fuel for the remaining uses of fossil fuels. £5 a litre by 2030 wouldn’t surprise me.
Better stock up.. I remember in the 70s when there was a fuel strike looming my dad had 5 x 45 gallon drums of petrol behind the shed.. !!
At that time he stopped me soldering / using a blow lamp in there.. so I had to do it when he was at work 😀
We had Jerry cans buried in the garden in the 1970’s around 20 of the MOD ones. Just don’t do what that idiot did a decade ago on the last crisis - store it in his wheels bin in his house. They ended up demolishing the house after it leaked and got absorbed into the fabric of the building.

Yes simple roof fund tax per vehicle - however if just on ownership will be £1000 or more. The pay as you go model of fuel revenue is cheaper. Will need technology to stop people working around the system.
I was involved with a company with a patent idea to liquify domestic gas for use in LPG cars. It got killed of by the Government as to tax and collect revenue off people generating LPG at home was too challenging. There were other technical/safety challenges too.
Nick
Site Admin

#270 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

What the hell is wrong with reintroducing the old road fund licence. The bigger/heavier the vehicle, the more you pay.
AFAIK, its never gone away. Just at the moment the rate for electric vehicles is zero as they are trying to encourage the swap to them. I am sure that that will not remain the case in future, The same for the BIK rate for company vehicles. The problem is the tax on fuel. Maybe they will apply a mileage based rate based on the last MOT odometer number.

Its always going to be a problem that if you collect tax on something you are trying to phase out it will leave a hole (see cigarettes, though in that case it was suggested that the NHS saving would compensate). There will hopefully be a reduction in pollution bases hospital visits to compensate a bit.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.