The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
steve s
Shed dweller

#811 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

Yes thanks both.. I think I'll give it a rough polishing and see how it goes.
There are lots of bits to remove and I'll give those a good clean & polish

Let's see how much I 'creep' 🙂

The engine ran well, but was hard to start, the new ignition should sort that, once it's done, I won't want to be taking it apart again if it's working ok, as I've too many other projects in bits.
Stupidly I've another 4 bikes lined up and the old car to do.

I've the hallway and landing to decorate and a few alterations to do starting next weekend, after the new front door and windows have been fitted. I'd much sooner be in the shed though..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#812 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

A busy man gets the job done! Onwards.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#813 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:04 am A busy man gets the job done! Onwards.
That's why I have achieved so little in the last 12 months. :(

As to the Gold Star, Don't over-restore it Steve.

When bikes (and cars) look better than they did when they rolled off the assembly line it somehow detracts from the end effect.

One of those laser metal cleaners would work wonders on anything aluminium (or is it aloooooooooomanim ? :lol: ) giving a clean but unpolished finish. Would be ideal for alloy heads, barrels and crankcases.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#814 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

One of those laser metal cleaners would work wonders on anything aluminium
Maybe, maybe not, the last thing you want to do with it is remove the oxide layer.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#815 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:27 pm

That's why I have achieved so little in the last 12 months. :(

As to the Gold Star, Don't over-restore it Steve.

When bikes (and cars) look better than they did when they rolled off the assembly line it somehow detracts from the end effect.

One of those laser metal cleaners would work wonders on anything aluminium (or is it aloooooooooomanim ? :lol: ) giving a clean but unpolished finish. Would be ideal for alloy heads, barrels and crankcases.
I'd not heard of a lazer cleaner before Phil, I had a look but they are out of my price range for how much I'd use one.
I do have a compressor and once the alloy is looking reasonable I was planning a light soda blast, as it can't do damage like other blast mediums
Hopefully that will do the trick
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#816 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Draganfly came through with the RH fork slider that was on back-order since May 2020 (altho strangely I had to ask if it was in stock yet, instead of them telling me as per the case of the mainstand)

Anyhoo, put it in today.
-
Bantam D1 - D3 fork slider
Bantam D1 - D3 fork slider
IMG_3536.jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
-

Means forks are completely rebuilt now, new sliders, bushes and springs (the sliders are stainless tubes of 2mm wall thickness ['stock' are 1mm wall thickness steel chrome plated, not totally knackered, could be rechromed by somebody, which was rubbing off or rusting).
-
IMG_3537.jpg
IMG_3537.jpg (89.3 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
-
Trivia - each spring has a 10 inch length of 8mm bore fuel hose inside, to quote from Service Sheet 509 (D1 - D5 Front Forks, 1965), "Some
models have a rubber tube fitted inside the spring to increase the resistance of the fork"

I may be close to replacing the wheels soon. First I need to true them up, and will probably do this in the frame / forks, to make sure the rims are central.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#817 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

I also have this to play with, a Dell'orto carburettor PHBG 15AS. Should fit without too much difficulty - is cited on the Bantam forum as an alternative if your original carb is scrap or missing. Mine is OK, actually has been rebuilt with mostly new parts, but nevertheless might be interesting to do a comparison. I'm betting the Dell'orto is superior. But the rivet-counters are getting twitchy! :D

If nothing else it provides adjustment screws for idle mixture and throttle stop, to set tickover speed, the Amal has neither of these things! :shock:
Also the air filter is better, 1cm thick foam; Amal's is two sheets of wire mesh that you soak with oil (I say 'wire mesh', actually thin steel sheets stamped with myriad slots to look like wire mesh)
-
Carbs 2518 vs 361_1.jpg
Carbs 2518 vs 361_1.jpg (116.39 KiB) Viewed 4123 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#818 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Getting there Mike, good to see it coming along still.

I've treated my lovely Indian Bullet to some some nice things....

I've got the head and barrel back from the Rebore shop. New Accralite piston, barrel rebored to +20, head skimmed, barrel skimmed too (and the 'firelip' too which caused a few problems initially).

New 'competition' valves and guides too, seats recut and I even bought a reamer to get the valve guide clearances right, blimey, thats a 1st for me.

Just need time to bung it all back together. Work has been manic for months but I've got some annual leave coming up, huzah.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#819 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

There's some things sticking out in funny directions there.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#820 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Bass n Treble controls innits.
steve s
Shed dweller

#821 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

Wow, dave that's s a proper job..
And mike too, both of you putting my efforts to shame..
Well done..
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#822 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

steve s wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:44 pm Wow, dave that's s a proper job..
And mike too, both of you putting my efforts to shame..
Well done..
Yes. Yes we are are putting you to shame Steves, however, if you give us some rubbish old pre WW2 valves each we're willing to let the matter drop. (Heheheheh etc) . 😆
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#823 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

:lol:

Dave the bass wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:14 pm I've treated my lovely Indian Bullet to some some nice things....

I've got the head and barrel back from the Rebore shop. New Accralite piston, barrel rebored to +20, head skimmed, barrel skimmed too (and the 'firelip' too which caused a few problems initially).

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#824 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Dave the bass wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm Bass n Treble controls innits.
What I love about our forum is that it's so educational on all sorts of different subjects.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#825 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:33 pm
Dave the bass wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm Bass n Treble controls innits.
What I love about our forum is that it's so educational on all sorts of different subjects.
Glad to be of service, feel free to ask anymore questions, if I don't know the answer I can always make something up 👨‍🏫