The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#781 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

S'OK better now. Not a lot going on yet but I think the Bantam rebuild is going to continue into next year quite easily. Not started on the engine yet! Someone suggested I should, given the other problems (as a general indication). Altho it runs. But probably not touched since put way in a shed X years ago. The last rebuild was only cosmetic.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#782 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

steve s wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:18 am The ktm 790 was a blast, I've loved riding it this last few weeks... so much so I've traded it in for another new ktm.

Had a test drive yesterday on the 890r it's like the 790 but its got more of everything I like about the 790.
The suspension was in another class, engine and power delivery better, top class brakes, got the full electronics caboodle too
Collecting tomorrow all being well.
Glad you've getting the bike you really liked Steve.

How's the Gold Star coming along ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#783 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ant »

Mike H wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:48 pm S'OK better now. Not a lot going on yet but I think the Bantam rebuild is going to continue into next year quite easily. Not started on the engine yet! Someone suggested I should, given the other problems (as a general indication). Altho it runs. But probably not touched since put way in a shed X years ago. The last rebuild was only cosmetic.
Well given the work you have already put into it, the motor ought to be a blummin doddle!

Are c15 bits easy enough to get hold of?
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#784 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:48 pm S'OK better now.
Glad to hear that Mike. :)

Edmund Burke

steve s
Shed dweller

#785 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:41 pm
steve s wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:18 am The ktm 790 was a blast, I've loved riding it this last few weeks... so much so I've traded it in for another new ktm.

Had a test drive yesterday on the 890r it's like the 790 but its got more of everything I like about the 790.
The suspension was in another class, engine and power delivery better, top class brakes, got the full electronics caboodle too
Collecting tomorrow all being well.
Glad you've getting the bike you really liked Steve.

How's the Gold Star coming along ?
I've done nothing with any of the old bikes this year Phil, my plan is to get the laverda running in the next few weeks, then make a start on it...
Picking the new bike up today..🙂
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#786 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ant wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:52 pm Well given the work you have already put into it, the motor ought to be a blummin doddle!
Could be!
Are c15 bits easy enough to get hold of?
Looks like might be, try Draganfly, Classic Bike Shop, kind of thing. Draganfly have exploded diagrams on their site giving all the OEM part numbers which is really handy. Doesn't always mean they got that bit tho.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#787 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Before we all get locked down, a ride around some local roads, looking for Little Hale Fen. Which was shown on my Met Office weather app once as my location (it isn't, I'm in Boston), but I thought, where the blinking flip is that then? So I went to find out, using a very meandering route. Called into the Langrick Station Cafe on the way home, and that's the last time they'll be open until restrictions are lifted. :(

-

Baggy Trousers
User

#788 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Looks like might be, try Draganfly, Classic Bike Shop, kind of thing. Draganfly have exploded diagrams on their site giving all the OEM part numbers which is really handy. Doesn't always mean they got that bit tho.

Draganfly under Roger Gwynn and his brother started as exclusively Ariel people and now hold probably the world's largest stock of Ariel spares with many pattern parts being available. In recent times, however, they have pursued a policy of acquisition, absorbing the stock of retiring dealerships, firstly BSA and more recently Triumph, but I doubt if their support of these makes will be as comprehensive.
Last of the late brakers.
steve s
Shed dweller

#789 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

Dragonfly, I used them alot when I rebuilt /restored my huntmaster in the 90s. They where pretty good at ariel parts

Nice ride mike,
From what I can see theres nothing to stop any travel when there's exercise involved during lockdown. The cafe we normally stop at is doing takeaways only, so will be open.
No one is saying what the definition of exercise is.
So it looks to be close to pre lockdown in many ways..
Never the less I'll give it a little time before I venture out on the bike
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Baggy Trousers
User

#790 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

steve s wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:42 pm From what I can see theres nothing to stop any travel when there's exercise involved during lockdown. The cafe we normally stop at is doing takeaways only, so will be open.
The police are under some pressure from the Home Secretary and others to be more visible, but I suspect that they will be concerned more with youthful, drug-fuelled raves than bothering solitary motorcyclists going about their lawful occasions. But one can't be sure and it might be prudent to see how the land lies before venturing out. When a British senior police commissioner publicly threatens to invade peoples' homes at Christmas to break up "illegal" family gatherings of seven people, you know you have entered a new and frighteningly different political universe.
Last of the late brakers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#791 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

steve s wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:42 pm Nice ride mike,
Thanks. :D
From what I can see theres nothing to stop any travel when there's exercise involved during lockdown. The cafe we normally stop at is doing takeaways only, so will be open.
Quite so, I'll be going out if I feel like it; local cafe (Langick Station Cafe) said she'll be shut for the duration. Flask and sandwiches! :D

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#792 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Wasn't sure if I should post about this in case people will larf ... Image

Then I was reminded our Dave The Bass has a tiddler ...

So I shall own up – I have recently acquired an AJS Cadwell 125. Image

It am 3 years old but only done 39 km. I only know it's 3 years old from the VIN year code (I was gobsmacked TBH). :o During that time it seems it was kicking around on a showroom floor, until June 2020 when an old guy bought it, to "get back into biking again". Obviously was a while ago since last time as unfortunately he scared himself to death in the modern traffic, so promptly got rid! Hence only 39 km. Then it sat around for another 5 months, then I bought it. So it's June 2020 registration then (a '20' on the plate).

It is loosely based on the Yamaha YS 125 (formerly, YBR 125), using same motor, and made in China.

It do be in the old cafe racer style.

It has got fuel injection for Euro 4.

It am too little for ABS, so it has got linked brakes instead. To achieve this the front caliper has 3 pistons (it's single-sided), and the middle one is worked by the rear brake pedal.

It has got kickstart and electric start.

It has got sidestand and mainstand.

It am black and sexy looking.
-
Clip0015.jpg
-

I first saw a silver one at F2 Motorcycles, 3 years ago when I was buying the Ural. He (Dave Angel) was going to start selling them and was very enthusiastic about them. So I was able to see one up close in the metal.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#793 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

I found an owners group on Facecloth which turned out very instructive, as there's a bunch of things you need or may want to do with them to make them more reliable and safer. This my 'to do' list:

Removed the pillion footrests (don't need, does not have a dualseat).

Fitted a rear carrier and base for QD Givi topbox – it includes LED brake light ...
-
Givi topbox-1.jpg
-
Givi topbox-3.jpg
-

Fitted Optimate charging lead. Replaced plug cap for NGK VD05F red, was changed before but does not fit with the head fins very well. Also put in NGK C6HSA plug, which replaces Chinese original. Checked fasteners for tightness, some weren't! Especially round the back end, when I was doing the carrier, tail light bracket etc., replaced some nuts with better ones (nyloc) or apply Loctite.

Put in Osram Night Racer bulb in the headlight ("+50% more light!").

Next to do, dump the Chinese tyres and get better (FB recommendation: I will be fitting Metzeler Lasertec).

He (on FB) also says disable the sidestand switch, mine works OK at the mo but I now know how to disconnect it if it starts pratting about. Owner's book says it's a safety feature (so you can't ride off with the sidestand down (I've done this on my Triumph T140 and no it wouldn't flip up at first left hander, fortunately there was an 'escape lane' I could use :o )

I changed the oil on the assumption it was by now 3.5 years old. Engine has still not started its running in period yet, and it will have to be changed again at 500 miles. I also did a repeat 'PDI', according to the owner's book, the original dealer should have but can't assume. Everything seemed about right so OK.

Replaced the indicators with Shin Yo 21W ones. They are also rectangular as well as more brighterer.
-
Front indicators.jpg
-

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#794 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Drilled a small drain hole in the bottom of air filter box to let any water out. There's a photo someone posted on FB, showing the inside of his half full of water. Apparently, they say, this should be part of dealer PDI now, to put a wee drain hole in. To be extra posh I added a bit of 6mm rubber hose too – bit of brass tube Araldited into the box, then a rubber tube on that ...
-
Air filter box drain hose.jpg
-

To do – apply Alphadots security kit (arrived today).

And before I start using it, fit a heat shield over the exhaust pipe exactly where my right heel wants to go! Other people on FB have melted their boot heels and overtrousers on it!

At the moment weather's too cold and naff to use it, also been lots of mud on our roads lately (agricultural area, and I think they're still finishing pulling the second crops) maybe later we can have a play with it when remaining jobs are done and the roads are cleaner and drier. Ought to be ideal for the local country lanes, and the Lincolnshire Wolds.

END

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#795 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Well done that man. :)

Note to self ---- try and actually ride my BMW in 2021.

Edmund Burke