I'm Officially a Fat Bastard

Subjects that don't have their own home
brig001
Old Hand

Post by brig001 »

pre65 wrote:late night cheese and savoury biscuits.
That could be the secret: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truth ... cium.shtml
Cheese stops fat from everything else being absorbed.

Nuts are another strange one: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/ ... ought.html basically, they come out pretty much how they went in, so not as many calories as thought.
Note: "This study was funded by the Almond Board of California", so may not be entirely trustworthy, but something on TV recently actually duplicated the test and showed chewed nuts and "digested" nuts, and they were very similar under a microscope.

Exercise is the main key I think. If you exercise in a way that convinces your body that it needs to be more athletic, then it will change to suit.

Brian
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

IMO, the key to all this is lifestyle change.
10 years ago at Weightwatchers the leader told us that "diets" are not something that you can go on, lose weight, then come off.
She said that in order to keep the excess weight off, you "diet" for the rest of your life, ie the eating habits need to change and stay changed.......forever, otherwise there is no point, as all that will happen is the weight will go straight back on.
I lost 5 stone, and put back on 5 stone, because I dieted, then stopped. Like most men.... knew best, you see.
If you turn it into a battle....question of willpower, the mind is a very powerful thing and you will lose, were her exact words.
It has to be a conscious acceptance of change, that becomes subconsciously embedded in your behaviour towards food.....no point otherwise.

The exercise I did 10 years ago was a combination of power walking and dancing at northern soul nights every weekend. As I said earlier, it enabled me to run up the steps from the street all the way up to Whitby Abbey.
Oh to be as fit again :)

I did it once, this time has to be the last time; not getting any younger.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Scarborough Northern Soul weekender soon :D

We're not going this year, I'd do myself a mischief :lol:

Maybe next year when me and the missus are a bit more sylph like and I can get into my Fred Perry T Shirt, white socks, leather soled brogues and made-in-1978 soul baggies with the 30 waist and 36" bottoms. :shock:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

brig001 wrote:
pre65 wrote:late night cheese and savoury biscuits.
That could be the secret: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truth ... cium.shtml
Cheese stops fat from everything else being absorbed.
Go on! :shock: I like cheese, maybe I should just carry on...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Cheese and biccies tonight then, nice bit of Gorgonzola. :wink:

MDF dust is low calorie. :shock:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
kennyk
User

Post by kennyk »

I'm quite a short-arse (only 5' 6") and by this time last year my weight had crept up to over 14 stone. In the last year I've managed to shed 4 stone through a combination of exercise, and teaching myself to eat less. As I was at college and working most evenings, some nights my opportunity for eating a full meal was curtailed and those evenings I ended up with a pasta-in-a-mug snack to keep me going. it turned out that what I'd been doing was an adaptation of the latest fad diet: known as the 5:2 where you eat normally for 5 days of the week and the other two (non-consecutive) days you limit your calorie intake to around 600 calories. although I ended up doing around 3 days at 800-1000 calories instead. the beauty of it is, you can still have all the things you normally eat.
It's a regime that I've kind of stuck to, and the truth is now I'd not be able to physically eat as much as I used to. I've been around 10 st. 6 for a few months. I'd like to get below 10 stone but I'm no longer out of breath, have a lot more energy, and finally into 30" waist trousers from a 36".
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nice to see others are managing to shed the weight.
I'm following my old weightwatchers regime and have lost 4lb over three days, but that happened last time. I shed half a stone in the first week. That's the water draining out. Been peeing for England and it ain't over yet :lol:

Once the water had drained away, I was losing 3lb per week. I'm on 1300 calories per day, which TBH is easy. Also I'm feeling a bit more energetic.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

I'm down 2kg to 100kg.

5 more to go...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

I'm down 2kg to 100kg.

5 more to go...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote:MDF dust is low calorie. :shock:
(Thanks Steve) Possibly, but where did you get that from? Still don't fancy eating it though. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote:
pre65 wrote:MDF dust is low calorie. :shock:
(Thanks Steve) Possibly, but where did you get that from? Still don't fancy eating it though. :D
Routing channels in GK-71 chassis. :wink:

No, eating it deliberately would be most foolhardy. :shock:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Oh I get it, based on personal experience :D

Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

pre65 wrote:No, eating it deliberately would be most foolhardy. :shock:
I don't know about ingestion, but inspired MDF dust is carcinogenic :shock:
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I thought so too.

Gives me eczema anyway :shock:

Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Just a thought, is this thread putting up a blokes challenge to 'Mumsnet' :lol:
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)