Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12586 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

ed wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:09 pm Many thanks....I just could not find that...the altitude site search function did not give me that.
God bless Bob Rafelson :confused3: :
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Michael L
Old Hand

#12587 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:59 pm £10 to download so I'm saving up. I will but the piggy bank has only just over £3-2/6d in it.

You guys buy, watch, write serious crit discuss which will help speed my savings on the way to Zappa Foundation inc.
Having listened to Kermode's take, and feeling hopeful that Robert Elms has no part I may have a night in and blow the tenner.
Neal
Shed dweller

#12588 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Dentist appointment today, been having an ongoing issue with a lower molar since November last, incredibly painful when I bite down, anyhow changed my dentist as I lost faith in my previous one after he did the filling and seemed to take ages to do it and gave mixed advise.

New dentist confirmed I need a root filling as the tooth is dying because of the previous work.....Bah! the cost is not inconsiderable :( It happens apparently, so went today and it turned into a bit of a nightmare. All was going ok, new dentist removed the filling and confirmed hairline fractures at the front and back of tooth but not all the way through, it can be saved! Yay. Removed more of the tooth to get to the canals and started to clean up ready for the next stage and just as she got that done the chair made a very loud bang as if a high pressure air line had burst and the lights went out! :shock:

Lots of panicking and several team members trying to get the chair working but no go...so she’s had to pack the tooth with something lint like plus a nerve sedative and I’m due back tomorrow morning to complete the procedure. :shock: Fingers crossed as I really dislike going to the dentist. :(
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12589 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Wow !!

I bet Thomas has a few dental tales to tell. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12590 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Another pet put to sleep this afternoon.
Our 16 year old cat Luna this time. :cry:
20180526_115830.jpeg
Our other cat of the same age seems healthy enough. He's the only pet we have left.
Hope he remains healthy, for another year at least.
Neither me or Melanie can take the trauma of a third one dying.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#12591 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Sorry to hear Steve, it's like losing one of the family.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Nick
Site Admin

#12592 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Ray P wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:47 pm Sorry to hear Steve, it's like losing one of the family.
Not wanting to be argumentative, but it is losing one of the family.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12593 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Commiserations for Steve. :(

Sympathy for Neal too.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

#12594 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Thanks Mike.

Ugh. Stage one completed, they had fixed the chair it was an air hose that had blown off a fixing. Two attempts to numb me off, I must be slightly resistant to the anesthetic, more drilling and then cleaning out of the roots, first two OK but the last one hurt so the dentist injected anesthetic directly into the root (which hurt) and had to keep repeating it, the bloody thing wouldn’t numb off. Eventually it admitted submission and she managed to clean it out. Filled them with calcium hydroxide and put in a temporary filling. Two week wait now for the Calcium Hydroxide to do its thing and then back again for Stage 2. Such fun.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12595 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Hope you're through the worst now Neal. I had a difficult root canal a couple of years ago. The dentist tried about 5 times to get it numbed, then did an injection direct into the root. Thankfully it settled down quickly after I left.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#12596 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I must be slightly resistant to the anesthetic
Kaye always has problems with anaesthetic. There is evidence that red hair is linked with this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1362956/
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12597 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Anaesthetics are one of medicine's great mysteries.

There is no consensus on how or why they work.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/general-anaesthesia/
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#12598 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

jack wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:23 pm Anaesthetics are one of medicine's great mysteries.

Its a bit out there, but Penrose uses the mechanism of Anaesthetics in his suggestion that consciousness is a quantum effect.
Neal
Shed dweller

#12599 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:55 am Hope you're through the worst now Neal. I had a difficult root canal a couple of years ago. The dentist tried about 5 times to get it numbed, then did an injection direct into the root. Thankfully it settled down quickly after I left.
Cheers Mark, thing is I won’t know for sure until the tooth has its next filling...if it still, hurts when I bite down she will have to pull it out.... :roll:
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12600 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:57 pm
jack wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:23 pm Anaesthetics are one of medicine's great mysteries.

Its a bit out there, but Penrose uses the mechanism of Anaesthetics in his suggestion that consciousness is a quantum effect.
Roger Penrose is one of my long-time heroes - I recommend "The Emperor's New Mind" (where he discusses this concept). Actually, thinking back, he and Peter Medawar (author of "Memoirs of a Thinking Radish" - also a brilliant read) are two of my biggest influences...

I haven't read those two books for many years. Time for some light entertainment methinks...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt