steve s
Shed dweller

#12556 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Nothing like phil, it's this one
Screenshot_20210213-235243_eBay_copy_206x300.jpg
Screenshot_20210213-235243_eBay_copy_206x300.jpg (53.97 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Screenshot_20210216-120649_Drive_copy_270x585.jpg
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12557 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Ant wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:54 am Came across this pair of maplin millennium monoblocks on fleabay while browsing this morning,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millennium-E ... 890.l49292

Must admit to being tempted, danbury transformers in it, and at least visually well built.

Bet they sound pretty good for not huge money

The fact that they arent a mirror image pair would drive me crackers though
Blimey. :shock:

Will sound totally crap with those resistors and caps in. Those polyprops are only mains filter type not audio grade, and they're nasty. The Maplin min res metal films you may think OK if you're OK with them. I'd replace with carbon. Nice ClarityCaps elsewhere only prob is they need more space. I see one mains TX (at least) is 200 mA, this was the later version to dtop people trying to make it power a stereo pair of amps, it'll burn up (and this has happened). So kudos for making 2 monoblocks. The reason they're not a mirror image pair is because no insrtuctions were published how to do it. Those valves are EL34, or something else?
I've no doubt these can be made to sound good with some more work (and better comps).

:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12558 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:50 pm DOH !! I missed that bit.

Forget I spoke. (most of you do anyway).
LOL, I notice if no-one else does :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12559 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

"adds all important safety to speed" I like that :lol:

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12560 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

pre65 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:58 pm I read an article about a Cornish cheese manufacturer having problems, so I decided to purchase some Cornish blue cheese from them.

Seems their web site has since been inundated with customers, the power of publicity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-56012219
The Cornish blue was delivered by DPD at 18:15.

I'm sampling some now and it's rather nice, creamy with a sharpish tang.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#12561 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Mike H wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:09 pm "adds all important safety to speed" I like that :lol:
How times have changed since the 60s Mike, I suppose most vehicles had pretty crap brakes back then.
My laverda stops really well, but the earlier bikes I have have nothing like modern brakes
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ant
Shed dweller

#12562 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Did a little bit of work on the arcam delta transport last night, it was skipping every now and then, albeit on cds that are less than perfect, but it was getting annoying as the cd371 would play those cds.
So i opened it up to clean the lens. The transport is a cdm1 mk2 which has the glass optics.
It was filthy i side when i got it so i gave it a good blow out with compressed air and the hoover at the time, and there was evidence that a reg had let the magic smoke out at some time or other. Looks like it had been returned and fixed under warranty.

The display window was abit milky, so while i was cleaning the lens i dropped the display board out and cleaned the inside of the window with isopropyl.
Both the lens and inside of the window were absolutely filthy with some oily black muck, and cleaning the casework on the outside keeps bringing off a yellowy brown filth.

Im wondering if the previous owner was either an extremely heavy smoker, (given the yellowy grot that comes off the outside of the case) or it had been in a house that had had a house fire, or a perhaps a very smoky coal fire.

The stuff that came off the lens and display window was black and oily like coal dust, but how it got inside i dont really know. The machine has vent slots on the back panel but none on the top or underside so its not like it could have settled i side through the vents.

I swear blind it sounds better now the lens is clean, perhaps im hearing things. but i suppose the error correction isnt working overtime trying to read through a film of filthy muck.
I havent seen a lens as mucky as the one in this before....
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12563 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

As a former smoker, yes the smoke can get into places you wouldn't believe, so I wouldn't be at all surprised that that's what all of it is. I remember pulling apart my first HP inkjet, big clunky thing, had it for some years then gradually prints were coming out with like a yellow background, I had to find and clean all the little mirrors inside, covered in a brown film!

In electronics it's worse as the electric potentials attract the smoke particles, especially true of CRT TV sets. Take the back off and the tube is usually smothered, along with piles of fluff and dust.

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12564 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

My Quad ESL63s are ex Clive Sinclair - he was a chain smoker.

They. Are. Disgusting.

They're in the loft in the "to do" section. I HATE smoking and everything to do with it, so they're unlikely to see the workbench for a long time...

He also had out-of-control cats who have savaged and largely destroyed the speaker cloth (aka "socks"). Plus, there are coffee/tea cup ring stains on the tops.

Basically, a big job...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ant
Shed dweller

#12565 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Being an ex smoker too, (both of us) we always used to smoke outside, never around the kids. We werent particularly heavy smokers, but its all bad regardless.
Giving up was the best thing we ever did

Given all the grot in there if it is tab smoke, the original owner must have been a 60 a day chain smoker! Not particularly uncommon though 30 years ago.

The display was like looking through a bathroom window, but its now as new with some cleaning with isopropyl

Just need to find an original remote for it.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12566 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Sugar soap is the stuff to remove nicotine.

Magic!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#12567 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

How times have changed since the 60s Mike, I suppose most vehicles had pretty crap brakes back then.
I guess the tires had a part in it as well, no point having brakes that are better than the adhesion of the tire. There were a lot more grassy banks to take to as well.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#12568 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

The brake turned up this morning
The main thing is it fits.. perfectly

It's in great condition too, a strip, clean and polish it will look like a new, even the brake shoes have little wear,
The plating on the levers is all good.

Talk about good luck getting this. If the guy selling it had know what it was, he could have charged double
A leap forward (for a change) with this project
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12569 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nice one Steve.

There is a John Tickle TLS hub on Ebay, @ £465 + post from Denmark.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/284084491977?ul_noapp=true
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12570 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Excellent Steve. Will you have to bed in the shoes?

Ant: I forgot you were a smoker. :D

Decades ago must have been mid-'70's, which was when I started working, vividly remember commuting to work one morning, passed a chap coming out of a newsagent to his car carrying 3 packs of 20's and a box of matches, I though yeah I bet they're just for today. Where I worked everyone smoked apart from one kid, it was de rigueur to offer them around, that's how they used to disappear quick. Refusing one was bad etiquette too you had to say, "Oh sorry I've just put one out." It was another world!