Post by simon »

Sounds simply horrid Neal, hope all is well
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#12602 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:11 pm
I must be slightly resistant to the anesthetic
Kaye always has problems with anaesthetic. There is evidence that red hair is linked with this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1362956/
Yep I have had issues in the past.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#12603 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I love the stuff! To be a little more precise, I love the pre-med; usually a healthy dollop of valium. The real anaesthetic can be a real melange of different stuffs; I once got talking to an anaeth.... er, the guy who squirts the stuff in ... all very interesting and probably not as complicated as it sounded.

Nevertheless anaesthetics gets my total approval and, consider the world of dentistry and surgery before anaths..... phroarrrrrrr - horrifying.

I'm not particularly healthy nor unhealthy I suppose. I'm lucky that I can get one with the chemicals that kill the pain.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#12604 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

The interesting thing to me about anaesthetics (and its from the Penrose link) is that (at least in small quantities) they can completely turn off the conscious part of your mind (almost like a switch), while leaving the autonomic part still running. that suggests that the physical mechanism behind the two parts of the mind are different in some way, which is a problem for the hard AI view that consciousness is just a set of algorithms being run.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#12605 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

I did wonder, that if consciousness is a quantum effect and the anaesthetic is acting on that, why is it the genetic makeup of red heads can affect it’s efficacy?

In my case the most recent thing was a colonoscopy a few years ago. I was fitted with a cannula, and when the procedure was to begin, the doctor had hooked me up and said “Here comes the good stuff” as he injected. Except it didn’t. It had no effect. Nada.
Nick
Site Admin

#12606 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

By the way, there is nothing particularly woo-woo about Penrose's ideas. No magic effects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchestra ... _reduction
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12607 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

I had left eye surgery whilst fully conscious a few years ago...

They put you in a comfy chair sitting upright and then the anaesthetist comes along with a needle, and I kid you not, about 3 inches long which he shoves into your face just under the eye and round the back of the eyeball.

It's called a "block" and turns off the optic nerve for a while.

You're told to sit still and keep your eye open as you see this thing approaching - you feel it touch your lower eyelid and then it's like a switch - as if by magic, your eye turns off.

My right eye could see what was going on, but my left eye was out of it - dark and completely paralyzed...

45 minutes later all was back to normal.

Magic!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#12608 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hmmmmmm, I don't envy you even though my horror is not the eyeball ( don't doubt I'm squeamish, the thought makes my testicles retract and hide ). My room 101 is the dentist who doesn't mind going through my tongue to attack my teeth. I've been to a dentist five times plus one in my life.

But I was privileged to hold my wife's hand as she underwent what Jack describes. I was fascinated!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12609 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

"Mr Potato Head to lose "Mr" title in gender-neutral rebrand."

Although it seems Mr & Mrs potato heads will still be available. :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56200811
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#12610 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Decided to make a new input switching box today as I needed some more inputs and another output for tape deck. I was using a pair of plug in splitters to get it working with the old one, and the rats nest behind it was getting on my nerves. I also integrated a separate switch section to connect 2 tts to the same phono stage, which is the right hand control.

ImageNew input switching box by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

It's an STC cast aluminium box, etch primed and sprayed ivory. I've used the same silver sockets as i usually use, but no silver wiring because I didn't have enough left.

Turned out nice
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12611 Re: Laser printer help?

Post by jack »

jack wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:29 am Need laser printer diagnosis help!!!

Does anyone here really understand colour laser printers? I certainly don't...

I have two really nice Lexmark colour duplex printers (C543dn), but they haven't been well for a while - both have a pinky-grey streaky background - I can upload a photo if required.

Not at all sure what's causing this and I'm reluctant to bin them as they are low mileage, though a bit long in the tooth. When working, they're bloody good.

Might be the cyan developer unit as the background is mainly cyan, but they are 70 quid or thereabouts, so before buying one, I'd like to be reasonably sure...

Ta
It was the black and cyan developer units - both failed. Right as rain now. Found a complete developer kit (all 4 colours) for 56 quid instead of the usual 280 or so....
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12612 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Keysight University 2021 (in previous years was called Scope Month, then Wave) is starting on 15th March and is an opportunity to win up to a total of USD 300,000 of Keysight test gear...

https://kulive.keysight.com/?ref=v67qk0aaQQk0WMpE

I've never won anything, but am always hopeful!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12613 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:19 pm "Mr Potato Head to lose "Mr" title in gender-neutral rebrand."

Although it seems Mr & Mrs potato heads will still be available. :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56200811
Madness! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12614 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

The 2021 Census.

Seems it has to be done online using an "household access code" which comes by post.

Best to make sure any other household members are at hand before you start.

No mention of how non internet persons manage. :? (EDIT - there is if you read the letter they send properly. :oops: )

I've done mine. 8)

PS I went onto www.census.gov.uk and ordered a large print paper form for my Mum.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#12615 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Got my letter from the NHS to book my covid jab!, I’m not 60 yet :mrgreen:
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.