New Toy To Play With

Nick
Site Admin

#31 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by Nick »

That's a complicated questiom
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#32 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by simon »

The simplest ones often are :-)
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#33 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by mainscablesrus »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 pm That is indeed a nice set-up. You're either a music-lover or a Longdog collector ( or maybe both ! ) .
Both indeed. Nick's stuff is bloody good, pity we both got into this at a rather late age otherwise if it was 20 years earlier it would be a different game totally.

The amps with my speakers sound very good indeed, the reference phono is astonishingly good, I run it with a high output MC as I don't like SUT's, or maybe I should say I don't like the SUT's I have tried.

I found one of the early models of quartz power supply and run the Sony TTS8000 with it for now, I just need Nick to make a good pre-amp next.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
JohnG
Old Hand

#34 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by JohnG »

Quartz Power Supply to Run a Sony TTS 8000.
Have you compared the inbuilt vs off board Quartz PS ?
Is there any noticeable improvements to be had by adding the off board Quartz PS ?

I am totally in agreement that getting the interfaces 'on the money' from the Tonearm through to a Phonostage Output is a challenge,
which in many cases the maths for the arrangement are not followed.
I would suggest many will settle for Hum Free as the chosen goal, off which I am one.
I am looking to address this differently, learning the choices for alternative arrangements where the maths is better understood,
and using interfaces that reflect these maths.
Nick
Site Admin

#35 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by Nick »

JohnG wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:39 am I am totally in agreement that getting the interfaces 'on the money' from the Tonearm through to a Phonostage Output is a challenge,
I would suggest many will settle for Hum Free as the chosen goal, off which I am one.
I am looking to address this differently, learning the choices for alternative arrangements where the maths is better understood,
I am intrigued what you mean with that, maybe another thread where you could expand your ideas?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#36 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by Paul Barker »

A nice el84 preamp perhaps Nick?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#37 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:33 am A nice el84 preamp perhaps Nick?
What happened to the Raven (?) preamp, was it a success ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#38 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by Nick »

The problem with a preamp is finding a way of making one that's better than a passive. A pot or stepped attenuator in a box is a good solution and its hard to see what extra value I can add to that. A AVC or TVC is also a good solution, but as I don't wind transformers (and don't want to start) again its hard to see where I can add value. The one good preamp circuit I know of is that balanced one I brought to eggy years ago that was was loosely based on the Raven and full of Sowter transformers. I do have a mind to go back to that and try and fit it into a phono stage size case. But that still has the problem that it needs an attenuator, and i can't decide on the best way of doing that. Relays and resistors probably,

But none of the options are simple and I have lots to build at the moment for what I already make.

A el84 would work, but other than gain, not sure what it would provide on its own, to be fair a LM4562 will do that.

At the moment at home and for the last few shows I have been using a S&B TVC and that does very few things wrong that I can hear.

To Dave's annoyance I have put a stop to the keep designing new stuff I was doing up to a year or so ago. I am only going to do that now if I can see a way it will improve from what I currently make. The Ref Phono is better than the MCj3 (and honestly maybe everything else I have heard), but its also 6 times the price, but I can't see a obvious area I can improve in the jfet phono to get it closer to the Ref. So they stay where they are. The p6 monoblocks were slightly better than the p6-100m as they were much bigger so more space for transformer and caps, but they were heavy and impractical and TBH a pain to build. The Quartz supply is doing what I intended it to do, I am resisting the calls to make it into a bigger general power regenerator as the problems don't scale linearly with output power. I have said I will do a 50Hz fixed speed version for Dave if he gets a plain front panel made, but that's just a case of missing things out and different software.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#39 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by mainscablesrus »

JohnG wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:39 am Quartz Power Supply to Run a Sony TTS 8000.
Have you compared the inbuilt vs off board Quartz PS ?
Is there any noticeable improvements to be had by adding the off board Quartz PS ?

I am totally in agreement that getting the interfaces 'on the money' from the Tonearm through to a Phonostage Output is a challenge,
John its a mains regenerator essentially, I would expect any turntable to benefit from using it, Thorens were the first to use the idea then it was copied by others.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
JohnG
Old Hand

#40 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by JohnG »

Thank you Dave.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#41 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by izzy wizzy »

Nick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:01 pm The problem with a preamp is finding a way of making one that's better than a passive. A pot or stepped attenuator in a box is a good solution and its hard to see what extra value I can add to that. A AVC or TVC is also a good solution, but as I don't wind transformers (and don't want to start) again its hard to see where I can add value. The one good preamp circuit I know of is that balanced one I brought to eggy years ago that was was loosely based on the Raven and full of Sowter transformers. I do have a mind to go back to that and try and fit it into a phono stage size case. But that still has the problem that it needs an attenuator, and i can't decide on the best way of doing that. Relays and resistors probably,

But none of the options are simple and I have lots to build at the moment for what I already make.
That's essentially my line stage now. Before it was a sowter TVC. I use it now as an AVC on the output where I think it works better than at the input driven by sources.
SimonC
Old Hand

#42 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by SimonC »

Nick wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:01 pm To Dave's annoyance I have put a stop to the keep designing new stuff I was doing up to a year or so ago. I am only going to do that now if I can see a way it will improve from what I currently make. .
I hope the turn table prototype has not been completely shelved...
Nick
Site Admin

#43 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by Nick »

THats out of my hands at the moment and waiting on the company who were doing the metalwork.