FH3 still going strong - Thanks Colin!

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#1 FH3 still going strong - Thanks Colin!

Post by Tony Moore »

Just to say that I am still loving my FH3 speakers made for me by Colin in 2011. 8)

I use them day in day out as near field speakers in my home office - they must have at least 30,000 hours on them now. I would never part with them - they just work so well for my ears and the location, volume level.

I use a DIY single mosfet amp built around this:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/ZCA/ZCA.htm

and my streaming system based on Squeezebox receiver and Pedja Rogic's 1541 DAC. (which itself is probably 12+ years old now!) :shock:

Still, if it does the job...

Cheers,
Tony
ed
retired

#2 Re: FH3 still going strong - Thanks Colin!

Post by ed »

superb latfet Tony....I've had great results with it.

If you ever fancy experimenting again I can recommend trying it choke loaded as a follower(variation of a thing called mofo). I brought one to Owston a couple of years ago and it was well received.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#3 Re: FH3 still going strong - Thanks Colin!

Post by Toppsy »

Tony Moore wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:27 pm Just to say that I am still loving my FH3 speakers made for me by Colin in 2011. 8)
Hi Tony,
Wow that was a long time ago mate. Must be these then: http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 473#p75473

So pleased they are still giving you pleasure after all these years. Still the best small floor standing speaker design I have heard for a 4" extended range driver and the best driver for these (at the time) being the MA Alpair 7.2 as went in these speakers.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: FH3 still going strong - Thanks Colin!

Post by Dave the bass »

+1 on the FH3 fan boys tally. Mine are set up in the living right now, still in use with our-Scott's old blue modded Fostex 126's. Pity I finished them in a horrible wax finish that looks like doggy poo poo now!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: FH3 still going strong - Thanks Colin!

Post by Mike H »

:thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
zman
User

#6 Re: FH3 still going strong - Thanks Colin!

Post by zman »

Toppsy wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:56 pm
Tony Moore wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:27 pm Just to say that I am still loving my FH3 speakers made for me by Colin in 2011. 8)
Hi Tony,
Wow that was a long time ago mate. Must be these then: http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 473#p75473
Beautiful speakers. :)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#7 Re: FH3 still going strong - Thanks Colin!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Me too- magic! Funny that there is so much they dont do when compared to other standards of speakers, of which there are many, but I think of Tannoys, Heils, ATCs, electrostatic bleach bleach but these speakers are minimalistic ally marvelous!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#8 Re: FH3 still going strong - Thanks Colin!

Post by Scottmoose »

Glad they still meet approval. :)
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com