Ultrasonic record cleaning

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
JohnG
Old Hand

#16 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by JohnG »

Correct the Hand Dryer/ Air Blade is usually seen as a Static Set Up.
I was thinking of mounting one or a similar powered air blower on a Ply Board with a extended power cable and wall socket plug.
Also I was intending on making a bracket to mount onto the Ply Board, to offer a security for the Vinyl Disc, and enable the disc to be placed in a position that enables it to positioned for the best drying, all the person will have to do, is rotate the Disc, by applying finger pressure to its out outer edge.
I would think that 30 seconds would be more than enough to thoroughly displace all surface water and dry a Vinyl Disc.

I would advise not to overlook a simple pre - clean set up, for the little bit of preparation and a couple of additional minutes per Vinyl Disc, the combined treatments, will only serve to offer the best in a replay from a particular Album, and I like to think that any groove cleaning success, might offer a few more valued hours of service from a expensive Diamond Tip.

On my investigations, I seemed to think, 'yet to be proved', that a longer cleaning process in the Ultrasonic Bath, with Three Vinyl Discs at a time, instead of one, produced a much less intensity of 'Cavitation'.
It felt more reassuring to be using a less frequent Cavitation on the Vinyl, and increasing the amount of Discs in the Bath, reduced the velocity of produced Cavitation per disc.

My reasoning for the identifying a method to control the Cavitation, came from a conversation with a friend, who informed me of the need to use a particular frequency, and that certain frequencies can easily perforate Aluminium Foil when placed in the bath.
If I recall correctly, the frequencies that were being referred to as the correct type, were not available at sensible prices.

Another small thing to consider, is to produce a filtration pump for the tank, this will remove any particles collecting in the solution, no point having unwanted c**p, getting involved with the cleaning process, especially when the initial idea behind doing this type of cleaning, is fundamentally put into place, as a result of caring for the condition of a valued vinyl collection
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#17 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by mainscablesrus »

John,
All that fannying about just send me your favourite records I will clean them on a PROPER machine or bring some to the next meet.

You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
JohnG
Old Hand

#18 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by JohnG »

Hi Dave us mere mortals have to fanny about :bigsmurf:
I am in total agreement, that in my wonderful East London Elocution, that's a proppa bit of kit.
I intend on bringing up my new Phon' to throw into the arena, so lets hope Feb is friendly to us with the weather, as us softies from the South can only do fair weather travel.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by IslandPink »

Does it cost less than my record collection ? :)
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Max N
Old Hand

#20 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by Max N »

I must admit I have been looking at the project VC-E at £299 and wondering if DIY is worth it.....
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/vc-e/
Max N
Old Hand

#21 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by Max N »

On the other hand, I am having fun, so.......onwards!
I want to tidy everything up - less Heath Robinson and something more robust and permanent.
Start by making a mounting plate which will be attached to the side of the cleaner. Ordered some ally plate cut to size from Ebay.
Dredged up memories of my student apprenticeship in 1980 for the marking out - I don't have any 'engineers blue' as we used to use, so used a green sharpie instead. Then scribed the marking out lines, and centre punched the hole locations
IMG_0268.jpg
Max N
Old Hand

#22 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by Max N »

Over to the drill press to make some holes.
IMG_0283.jpg
The drill press threw a massive sulk, probably because it has been unused and neglected for years. It started, ran for about a second, then died. I traced the problem quite quickly - one of the spade terminals on the back of the E-stop switch had fallen off.
IMG_0269.jpg
Thought that would be a quick fix, but the ****** thing still wouldn't run. Took me ages to figure it out. Finally found the wiring diagram, which showed a microswitch in the circuit. Then remembered there is a microswitch on the cover over the belts and pulleys on top. Then remembered I had opened the cover to check the belts - and not closed it again. Dohhhh!
Max N
Old Hand

#23 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by Max N »

Tapped the holes M5
IMG_0285.jpg
Cleaned the plate up and then bonded it to the side of the cleaner
IMG_0287.jpg
using this
IMG_0288.jpg
Hope it sticks.....currently curing.....
Max N
Old Hand

#24 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by Max N »

Then made a proper plate to mount the motor:
IMG_0289.jpg
IMG_0290.jpg
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#25 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by Daniel Quinn »

If you don't have a old moth cleaner, anybody got any ideas on what to use. I've just about had it with turning the thing by hand.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#26 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Currently, it's my only hand 🤣
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#27 Re: Ultrasonic record cleaning

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Bought something of ebay, £60 from China. Looks fine.