Generator coil frequency responce.

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Graeme
Needs to get out more

#1 Generator coil frequency responce.

Post by Graeme »

Is there a formula to work out the frequency responce of a generator coil for a MM cartridge?
I guess the coil spec influences output too but i also guess this is dependent on magnet strength and pole piece placement.

Curious about cartridge design but there is very little info i can find :(

Just to clarify, i want to work out how many turns/wire gauge etc to make a coil, not work out the electrical spec of an existing coil.

May be a pontless, fruitless exercise but curious minds and all that :wink:

Ta.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I would guess the frequency response depends how good it's coupling is with the magnetic field :?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

Ok, so distance between pole pieces and magnet.

Maybe ill try some experiments, make undersize and oversize coils and see what the difference is, all else being equal.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I suppose!

Also though, how it's output is loaded will have an effect I think. Which is why cartridges need a certain capacitance to work into and so on.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

Yes, its a far more complicated subject than it may first appear!

Interests me though, it wont be something i can learn/understand overnight, but maybe one day ill get there.