jbe slate direct drive

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 jbe slate direct drive

Post by cressy »

hi guys, been looking at my most recent acquisition, an armless jbe direct drive. theres bugger all info about it anywhere, and im just wondering if anyone has any info or has used one.

some pillock has butchered the arm cutout to fit something other than an sme 3009 that it was cut for so i'll have to make an armboard for it. which is no problem, but the platter is not very high off the main 'deck' which makes fitting the victor ua5045 arm somewhat problematic. its base is about an inch tall, so at its lowest setting it will fit fine, but figure in the thickness of an armboard and suddenly it wont go low enough. when i did the slate lenco i didnt use an armboard, i just drilled the slate so im wondering what materials may be used.

first thought is to use wood, but ive only got 2-3mm to play with so wood will be no good at that thickness. 2-3mm ally would work, but i dont like the sound an ally armboard gives.

3rd thought is carbon fibre, plenty strong enough at 2mm or even 1, but ive never used it other than as an arm tube. any other suggestions?

cheers ant
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

also thinking on about the legs, it has micro seiki adjustable feet, that wont let any vibration in, but my experience with slate is that it is a bad thing to decouple it from the shelf or whatever its on, and better to solidly mount 'legs or supports to it and spike into something else.
any thoughts on this? the legs come straight off and there is a hole in the plinth for their mountings so i can literally bolt other legs on if i want.

cheers ant
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Spacer under the deck to raise it up :?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
DSJR
User

Post by DSJR »

I was going to suggest doing something from underneath the deck..

The Micro' feet may work better supporting something heavier if memory serves, so the idea of tightly coupling the deck to slate and then maybe putting the slate on the feet may be a possibility?

Alternatively, can the intire motor unit be removed and fitted to a more substantial plinth?
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

well the plan with the feet, is to make some solid legs with spikes in place of the feet, spiked into the slate base i use for the garrard 401, and that i used for the slate lenco i did. in effect to make it into a twin tier plinth a'la, slate deck plinths such as gregs 401.

the issue with doing something underneath the plinth is that the cutout is the shape of africa :roll: ,whoever did it made a right balls up of it.

i could stick a bricksaw through it, the kind for cutting out holes in walls for boilers but the shape it is at the moment means using a large one about 4" across in order to get a circle.

i'll have to have a think
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

a solution has been found for the arm problem, i got hold of a piece of 1.6mm carbon fibre to use as an armboard (and to use on the 6s4s amp), and steve has very kindly loaned me one of his sme 3009 arms to use with the deck until i can buy one myself (anyone got one thats not silly money?)

3 of the 4 mounting points for the sme are still there, one isnt as it appears to have been chopped out when the plinth was butchered, but the good thing i that the carbon fibre will be plenty rigid enough to go over the hole without any flex. so a bolt can go through at the missing mounting point.

the reason to borrow the sme was that they are plentiful (if not cheap :roll: ), i can source one when i give it back, and the deck was meant to be used with one in the first place. so 2 jobs, make some new legs, and make up the armboard...............add one sl15, and play some tunes (id bet it wont be quite that simple though, nothing ever is :roll: :shock: :D )
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Good thinking that man Image

Yes I concur a long screw through with a plate or something underneath to hold onto. :?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

cressy wrote:a solution has been found for the arm problem, i got hold of a piece of 1.6mm carbon fibre to use as an armboard (and to use on the 6s4s amp), and steve has very kindly loaned me one of his sme 3009 arms to use with the deck until i can buy one myself (anyone got one thats not silly money?)

)
You sold the last one you got cheap ! :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I might do you a deal on a Sonus Formula 4 unipivot if you are interested ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

yep thats true :oops: had 3 or 4 arms at the time, a helius, project 9c, a linn basik, the sme and that twin tube carbon fibre thing id made. didnt think i needed them all at the time, but needed some funds (some things never change :roll: ). managed to break the home made one........

kinda regret selling them all off now :roll:

sonus does indeed sound interesting let me know what your thinking on that phil, i had a mayware at the time too (why didi get rid of them all :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: )
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

well the jbe has been finished, the sonus formula 4 rewired with one of vics (transfi audio on ebay) rewire kits and fitted with a stanton 500 (dont laugh its the only spare ive got)

and im now unsure as to wether to be happy as larry or be crying into my lovely cold beer.

why? because the jbe/sonus/shitty cartridge combo has just pasted my 401/victor ua5045/sl 15.

even with the crappy creek cas4040 im stuck with at the moment, the dodgy freebie stanton and a weight stuck to the headshell with chewing gum (no really!?) so it could track at 3.7g, transients are lightning fast, bass is extremely deep and tight and the imaging is superb. the treble is nothing to write home about, but thats the cart (its been the same on the garrard and the yamaha i had)

my poor garrard...........................
my bloody brilliant jbe.........................
i really need to get on with building a new amp........................ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :nike: :nike:
Richard Higgins
User

Post by Richard Higgins »

This site has a bit of info about jbe decks

http://www.jbe-turntables.co.uk/#

Richard
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

well i put the sl15 on the jbe and its alot better than the stanton (strangely enough :D ) and seems to work really well in the sonus, which incidentally is the biggest pig in the world to set up correctly, but when it is set up its lovely. detail is superb, treble superb. mid and bass is superb. quite why these are so difficult to come by is beyond me. surely the public shouldve bought more of these. (did someone say lp12?) all thats letting it down is the amp, but i have bits on the way for yet another attempt at an se 6s4s amp...................(doomed, were dooommed i say)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Is there a thread for that? Just wondered how you're going to set them up