Dealings with slate

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

compared to the mammoth strength of DtB or even the kindness that is Philip... well put some cheese on the floor and ... (comes with living too long in the south???)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Bloody 'ell

Smashed toes, busted backs?

Are some of us getting too old for this game :)

Hope you feel better soon Andrew.

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Thanks Steve, its ridiculous, I mean really! (Stamps foot)

I'm off for a bath (long soak).
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Sorry about that Andrew.

Dangerous this game innit?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I thought it was the electricity that was dangerous in this game. Not so, it seems...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

shane wrote:I thought it was the electricity that was dangerous in this game. Not so, it seems...
Aye, sometimes you gotta watch out for the wit, I've cut myself a fair few times on my own y'know.... :-)

Baths mend everything MrI, I suggest a glass of red whilst you're soaking too....

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes Shane you'd think the electric was quite enough to be getting on with wouldn't you?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I finally got around to laying the old slab down and sticking some vinyl on it - worst of three copies of 'Oxygene' yeah really.

The arm is all floppy and I didn't bother with counter weight or measuring actual cartridge weight - a test disk would have a nervous breakdown but it doesn't sound half bad. Those lovely totally synthetic bass notes have a huge roundness oooooo not so bad, after all.

And yes , it works!

Now I suppose I'd better see if I can improve on it.

oh yes and one of my vt4cs decided to conk out. no pain without gain and vice versa - there is a double entendre there somehow :)
Attachments
playing.JPG
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Well it's coming on! What were you trying to do with it when it got the better of the ol' spinal column?

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Those lovely totally synthetic bass notes have a huge roundness oooooo not so bad, after all.
Whahey, glad it works MrI.

But.... Oxygene, c'mon..... even an Amstrad sounds 'ok' with JMJ....

Pomp and Circumcision or bust.

Then we'll know fo' sure :wink: :)

Hows yer back lifting that heavy 103 BTW?!

They track at 12kG according to HiFi World.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

"well put some cheese on the floor and ... " Image

Umm..

andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

precisemente!

pomp and circumspection tomorrow!
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Learning to live with slate.... I came home from work early today (hooray) and set about doing a better arm board - still only an mdf template but this one is more accurate. This helps and now I will have to cut same holes in nice veined green slate slab (+3kg, I'm afraid) The present arm board is bolted down, I checked vta (easy) and seem to have lost my scales so I'm still estimating what the tracking weight of 103 is.

And

Onwards! Definitely.

I'm three LPs in to thing snow (SWIDT) and am enjoying the presentation, Detailed, clear and very heavy (like slate!) in an authoritative way which is not tonal, but maybe too `heavy'. The 18kg slab is resting on a sort of traditional mdf plinth, courtesy of can't remember where. (Some of you might think yuk-city) Now would de-coupling etc help / improve etc? - old questions but I think I am going to have to find out the answers.

I haven't ordered any of those substantial looking spikes yet. May as well. The devices Greg mentioned are really tricky because it is easy to get two positioned and then I try for the third, that falls over and I drop the slab/401, get my fingers underneath and then they are crushed trying to set up third `cone' and then the two others fall over - I die! - there has to be an easier way.

I have three long but inch thick slate `bricks' which would be fine for holding the top slab / 401 up. But it would be good to de-couple to three strong but pointed spikes.

Okay, later... I have played 'find the scales' and the horizontal measuring device (name of which escapes me) so 2.1grams and flatness later I will see what things sound like.

The deck was anything but horizontal and the 103 was tracking at 1gm; useless. Now it is right and everything that should be horizontal is. I'll have a listen.

yep, improved - better get used to it as it isn't going anywhere.

powerful sound!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Those gold adjustable Hong Kong spikes I also used on me speakers are glued on. No falling over. Yet...

Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Andrew,

Yes, mounting the slab onto spikes without a helper is hard work and even with the helper, you're still semi bent over, supporting the weight whilst your helper does the alignment on the spikes. Not good period and certainly not with a bad back.

Here's the easy way. You say you are using an under plinth made of MDF. Therefore, lay on top of this two strips of plastic celular (cheap furniture) foam that will support the slate approximately just below the height the spikes will end up supporting it and make sure the strips don't interfere with the motor etc. When in place, each spike and cup can be slid into place one at a time, requiring you to lift the plinth just slightly to get them located. When done, just slide out the foam. As said, dead easy to do on your own.

Regards,

Greg