Goldring G99.

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

"Wind direction" Image

Have to admire your perseverance Dave, I'd have got the arse with it days ago

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

'wind' as in nor'easterleys blowing a cruel gale...fishermen will not be safe in their beds tonight

or

he's winding you up!

But if its the direction the thread is wound then I can see a need for ultra precision balanced windings or the gentleman may find its more comfortable were he to dress on the other side!
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

I wondered if that oscillation might happen when I had a go at making a Schroeder, as the magnets form a type of spring. Looking at the way you've made this one, it wouldn't be to difficult to immerse the "pivot" area in a trough of damping fluid, as with many unipivots. Just a thought...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote:
But if its the direction the thread is wound then I can see a need for ultra precision balanced windings or the gentleman may find its more comfortable were he to dress on the other side!
Due to a freak accident with a Raleigh Chopper when I was 10 I can 'dress' either or both ways..... :shock: :lol:
Mike H wrote:
Have to admire your perseverance Dave, I'd have got the arse with it days ago
Aaaahhh yes, tenacious is the word :)

If you'd have heard what a a couple of magents + some fishing line + a knitting needle + some ply can do you'd be doing it too i reckon Mike :D

It really is worth investing time in and effort in. Really. I've leaned a lot about basic TT setting up from playing with this combo.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

shane wrote:I wondered if that oscillation might happen when I had a go at making a Schroeder, as the magnets form a type of spring. Looking at the way you've made this one, it wouldn't be to difficult to immerse the "pivot" area in a trough of damping fluid, as with many unipivots. Just a thought...
Oooooh, I didn't know you were in the clone-club too Shane, we need tee shirts and badges!

Re- oscillation , Ah yeah but no but yeah but... 'proper' Schroeder's don't have this problem (or do they?). I don't think Our Will had it either and he's thye DIY Jedi Master at this, we'll await he teachings :) I can see what yopu mean about the damping bath, I've got one on each of the Decca Unipillock arms I've been using up to now but TBH I didn't really have any problems with this wobble with those.

I'm gonna faff with headshell mass and see if I can shift the frequency its happening at or even better quell it altogether.

S'all sperrymenting innit.

Good for the brain and ears all this.

DTB
Prince of Darkness
User

Post by Prince of Darkness »

[quote="Dr Bunsen Honeydew"] the Belvior Room - pronounced by Lecestershire-ies as Beaver for some unknown reason./quote]

This pronunciation was mentioned on the QI TV show as a method of checking if someone was a German soldier in disguise (during WWII). The belief being that Germans would mispronounce certain English names such as Featherstonehaugh (pronounced "Fanshawe"), Cholmondeley (pronounced "Chumley"), Berekely (pronounced "Barkly"), Mainwaring (pronounced "Mannering") and Belvoir (pronounced "Beaver"). Where this idea seems likely to fall down, is that most British people would likely mispronounce them as well! :twisted:
"We need to grab the Bull by the scruff of the horns!"

Prince.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Faskinating!!

Damping oil bath for the ol' maggy sounds like an idea, suggest something viscous, like Castrol gearbox oil

Dave the bass wrote:If you'd have heard what a a couple of magents + some fishing line + a knitting needle + some ply can do you'd be doing it too i reckon Mike :D
Tre possible, if I had A. the time B. the inclination C. the energy D. enough vinyl to make it worthwhile E. if I played it lots. Which I don't

:lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Even with a real 'schroeder' the magnet plays an enormous part and many tiny adjustments can bring enormous changes in sound quality. I have only ever heard one real schroeder and (using rebuilt 103R!) is teh best I have heard a vinyl system. I have heard many adjustments to this arm when the rest of the system has stayed the same and heard huge differences. The arm was particulalrly sensitive anyway to the stability of teh turntable motor, too.

But teh poptential is there; the realisation just follows.
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

p.s. given that Will can transport a 'schroeder' to Owston and set up quickly to a very nice standard indeed, I am sure your perserance, our Lord Bassdom, will soon be amply rewarded!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote:p.s. given that Will can transport a 'schroeder' to Owston and set up quickly to a very nice standard indeed, I am sure your perserance, our Lord Bassdom, will soon be amply rewarded!
Hope so, it's more fiddly than my Unipillock was but more rewarding. I'd like Clone Jedi Master Cowen to check it over at the next fest, he likes a good laff :D

Today the uber-deck has recieved the much requested JTS-approved arm lift cueing device...

Blu tack is our friend, as is a thin strip of draught excluder, I'm a blummen jeany-us I tell ye!

This little lot was what I spent most lunchtimes this week making, 6 different thickness arm boards to play with VTA... 4 + 1 is in use and 1 is in the bin...

..and headshell mass loaders..."Yus mate, we can do 'em in Lead, Copper or Brass" :)

I sussed out why the Azimuth changes when I twiddle the mag gap, I had the line slighlty over to one side in the top of the adjuster... so when i turned the knob the line shifted eccentric to the hole causing the azimuth setting to shift. Now I'm aware of that I just need to find mah schweet spot again :roll:

Onwards.

DTB
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Which of those 3 weights is the lead one ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote:Which of those 3 weights is the lead one ?
The lead one is in the headshell right now...

Those are Copper and brass.

DTB
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

..and now on the sonic cat-walk sportin' the whizz-bang 14.3g brass headshell mass... we have the stunning Ms 103....

<wolf whistles!>

More mass appears to have removed the warble vibrato from the settings that could induce it. Huzah.

And just for pesky Phil ;-) Brass, LEAD, Brass, Copper!

Tscssshhhh! The things I do fer you...

DTB
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I like it Image

Neato arm-lifter cueing device, where did that come from?

ed
retired

Post by ed »

hasn't got as much cred as 10p pieces and plasticene tho!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be