Goldring G99.

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
pre65 wrote:Hi Richard - I think you are the one with the "ad hominem" chip on your shoulder.
You see just more ad hominem - you are simply addicted to it.
I see your point, but that is the way I post, it is my style, it is consistent. :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Andrew wrote:Hi,

If you are unable to share the active circuit perhaps you could share some of the general ideas by way of explanation. Like Nick, I have for sometime thought the SUT was a source of signal degradation but nothing I have yet tried has actually weened me off my SUT, even though I know its not ideal.

thanks,

-- Andrew
I am at Scalford as one of the trade brought in to ensure that Chestergroup make some money out of it so they don't cancel it. So pop in and listen. Ortofon SPU Gold is one of the carts I will use, the other MC option is a standard Denon 103. MM options Decca London Gold or Shure M3D all played through the same phono stage with no changes in load settings, you just have to turn the volume up for the MC !

I will think about what inf I wish to give, but as I say it is very simple and obvious, it is just that most analogue nuts seem to orientate to valves so block their minds to other solutions, especially when so many have invested ego and self into slanging off solid state.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I never understand all this business about SUTs. I can build an active stage that will pee on any SUT apart from very expensive ones like Audionote. It is because of valves, you are infatuated with them even in jobs they are not suited for.
It's the challenge, innit? :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

pre65 wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
pre65 wrote:Hi Richard - I think you are the one with the "ad hominem" chip on your shoulder.
You see just more ad hominem - you are simply addicted to it.
I see your point, but that is the way I post, it is my style, it is consistent. :wink: :lol:
And therefore consistently creates conflict, which is the only purpose for it, as can be patently seen.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Mike H wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I never understand all this business about SUTs. I can build an active stage that will pee on any SUT apart from very expensive ones like Audionote. It is because of valves, you are infatuated with them even in jobs they are not suited for.
It's the challenge, innit? :D

LOL now that I like, yes, if you can pull that rabbit out of the hat you are a better man than me gunga din :lol:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote:Sorry MrI , I thought it was was in common parlance! SUT = Step Up Transformer.

DTB
Took me a few minutes to figure it as well

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

arf, arf ! I've just been reading some of the hifisubjectivist website - it is interestingly fresh and open even though every so often the reader is reminded of the dread dangers of 'ad-hominem'. Nevertheless, being free (I hope)of the slavish fetish of brand loyalty and breathing the airy brightness of just saying what one likes because it is (understated) that of course it is 'IMHO' makes for a good read.

And where it goes... well I don't know - but all well and good!

So what do we do here? Or if Nick were to define this, then we would lose what we have. We do seem to do a lot of building and sploring and there is a very heavy valves bias - my choice here is that SS has not yet given me the pleasure that valves can, but hooray for, for example, Ed's gentle reminders that SS can be fascinating too.

We don't seem to do Brand loyalty, (that has to be healthy) I spose because we'd rather build than buy and yes we all pretend building is cheaper!

So here's to difference and plurality and I hope we can all find where and what we want to be. But for the sake of just getting on with each other, perhaps we could all drop squabbling whatever guise it goes under and

a thousand appypollylogies for hi-jacking the (already highjacked) thread -something I find intensely irritating unless the hi-jack is a) very very witty and b) useful in the long run ;-)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:LOL now that I like, yes, if you can pull that rabbit out of the hat you are a better man than me gunga din :lol:
It could of course very easily all go pear-shaped

Must admit if I were doing it I'd like to try Nick's idea of a JugFET assisted cascode type topology, does seem ingeniously simple.

Did try something vaguely similar to this years ago, but wasn't for MC cartridge input, seemed promising but probs not chosen the right devices and using them the wrong way.

@ DTB I believe I see what Nick's saying about the connections, bearing in mind your MC output (at litz wire) is very low Volts and low impedance, ergo is not too fussed about parallel capacitance. Therefore probs better all round to terminate the Litz wires at a little connection board where it swaps to screened leads, then your boxed SUT can be right close by the actual pre-amp with very short screened leads.

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote: a thousand appypollylogies for hi-jacking the (already highjacked) thread -something I find intensely irritating unless the hi-jack is a) very very witty and b) useful in the long run ;-)
No worries. It's not like I've never 'jacked a thread :oops: :-)
Nick wrote:Dave back to your point. I would try and see. Its a question if removing the extra connector does more or less damage than the extra cable after the SUT. The problem is that before the SUT is a low impedance signal that is immune to cable capacitance. After the SUT, its a high impedance signal with all the cable problems that brings.
Aaahh, re-impedance's I see. I wasn't thinking in terms of low before the TX and high out. Yes I can see what you mean, the increase in cable post-SUT might introduce more problems than I'm trying to remove.

I learnt today. Thanks Nick.

Today is a good day.

I shall sperryment.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: @ DTB I believe I see what Nick's saying about the connections, bearing in mind your MC output (at litz wire) is very low Volts and low impedance, ergo is not too fussed about parallel capacitance. Therefore probs better all round to terminate the Litz wires at a little connection board where it swaps to screened leads, then your boxed SUT can be right close by the actual pre-amp with very short screened leads.

Snap! :lol:

Thats what I just put in my new found understanding post above yours!

I dun learning today at skool!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: I am at Scalford as one of the trade brought in to ensure that Chestergroup make some money out of it so they don't cancel it. So pop in and listen. Ortofon SPU Gold is one of the carts I will use, the other MC option is a standard Denon 103. MM options Decca London Gold or Shure M3D all played through the same phono stage with no changes in load settings, you just have to turn the volume up for the MC !

Scalford, very sorry you've lost me with the reference. Do you mean the Manchester show this weekend? Unfortunately, a bit too far away for me to come and have a listen I live in the back end of beyond.

I will think about what inf I wish to give, but as I say it is very simple and obvious, it is just that most analogue nuts seem to orientate to valves so block their minds to other solutions, especially when so many have invested ego and self into slanging off solid state.
Thanks that would be much appreciated. I have tried the Hagtech Piccolo circuit, it's very good, have you heard it? But ultimately the SUT won out, it was richer and more organic.

-- Andrew
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: I am at Scalford as one of the trade brought in to ensure that Chestergroup make some money out of it so they don't cancel it. So pop in and listen. .
Just been looking at the Chester Group website.

Is this the one you mean ?

BakeOff2: 7th March, Scalford Hall, Melton Mowbray
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote:Snap! :lol:

Thats what I just put in my new found understanding post above yours!
We was obviously typing at the same time :D

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

This is a bit of an old chestnut though, n'est-ce pas? I have hard some superb phonostages at our 'do's and one of them was an SS prototype from Peter Comau. My own humble experience is that a pair of S&Bs (SUTs ;-) ) attached to three different valve phonostages just hits the spot nicely and is much preferred to the v.expensive Tom Evans prototype I still have languishing in a cupboard somewhere but I wish that all those tiny (plug-in boards! from Quad to AVI, IME) could do it for me rather than the big, glowing, bulky, preferred at present phonos I and quite a few others use, here. When I hear something that beats what I know so far, I'll come running for a jolly good listen.

OTOH, life is short and a great valve phonostage is good enough to be getting on with. Perfecting it (to my ears) is a worthy and enjoyable past-time.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

pre65 wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: I am at Scalford as one of the trade brought in to ensure that Chestergroup make some money out of it so they don't cancel it. So pop in and listen. .
Just been looking at the Chester Group website.

Is this the one you mean ?

BakeOff2: 7th March, Scalford Hall, Melton Mowbray
Ah right, that's even further..... :(