Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
david C
Old Hand

#1 new SME arm

Post by david C »

this has made me want to save up!
http://www.bm.rs/SME%20M2-12R%20Leaflet.pdf
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Very retro looking - shame that they've abandoned knife edge bearings.

Chris :)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Also isn't there an argument about the detachable head shell? Very nice though. No price yet I presume.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Gerry
User

Post by Gerry »

Mike H wrote:Also isn't there an argument about the detachable head shell? Very nice though. No price yet I presume.
Mike £899 is what I've been told, but then there was a 10% discount off this price too.

Regards
Gerry
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

it's SME so was never going to be cheap,

compared to the current range and the prices 3012's fetch it's about right,

I think these days the removable head shell is not considered that critical and it has the advantge of taking an Ortofon SPU an area that is not covered with the existing M2-12
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
Gerry
User

Post by Gerry »

When you consider some of the prices of other arms (except for the Rega based ones) it seams reasonable at £800 or so. The Jelco 750 12" is £600 without a cable!!!
The new CONSONANCE T988 job from China which was reviewed in HFW and highly rated was in this price range IIRC but not particularly well finished.

So SME quality might mean it is worth a £100 over the others. A 312 is £1,235 or so and old 3012 can make £1,000 on ebay.

Regards
Gerry
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

So I am reminded why I never actually managed to own one. I think even about 30+ years ago think it was when I remember first looking at 'em IIRC they were probably like a month's wages even then. £100+ don't sound like a lot but it is if your flat rate is only like £25 a week. :D