Techy 1210 bullshit

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

pre65 wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:

Hi Bunsen-some interesting observations !

I think you need to invite yourself to one of our gatherings (like last weekend) and hear what some of those turntables sound like now when mounted in slate plinths and with love and attention heaped on them.

I don't think anyone is goint to "rant" about you dissing their favourite turntable as "your view" is "your view" and that is allowed here. :wink: :wink: :lol:

PS what would be really interesting would be to hear of any "tricks" you had developed to "improve" the performance of any of your previously owned turntables.
I would love to as long as I don't have to mix with insane people who threaten women and children! (visit the lounge at The Crossover Nework forum if you want to see what I mean).

Regarding design (which for me is tweaks) I would prefer to respond and not initiate. Basically it is mostly common sense and using your ears. I have learned over the many years that there are no absolutes and everything is a compromise, so something that works in one situation can also be destructive in another, but the hard and fast rule in my opinion is simplicity, get as much out of the way of the music as you can.

My "Rants" are largely historic, though the industry is now a much better place to reside in, largely because of the internet and forums like this, information and personal choice is king not the foisted bullshit of reviewers and magazines and marketing men and retailers.

You lot mostly build and bodge things, that is the way the industry should be, it was the way it was in the 50's and 60's until the 70's marketing men bullshit took over. It is no longer a main stream industry it is going back to its roots - enthusiasts.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

OK good words, I will try to be an elephant who likes honey.
andrew Ivimey wrote:not exactly honeyed words mister Bunsen ...

Its a little known fact that when one of the herd (of elephants) is sick and dying, the rest of the gang rally round, nudge push, try to help, whisper silly and irritating jokes in the poorly elephant's ears in the hope that at least this will rouse the old chum from his terminal sloth. Sometimes even sexual activity is tried too; get the old loins working again and its only fifty miles to the next water hole what could be better than a stroll through the gentle Namibian sunshine today!? But if the old chum is not rousable, after a time, the gang quietly say Dasvedanya to their old droog and move on. Elephants do grieve too.

This is sort of what we do at our meetings. I'll give you an example, though not related to the record players you mentioned. In my simple way I liked what I heard and that Techy was rather good. But I digress.

No, I had an ongoing 'spriment with a rather odd pair of speakers (rather like at Eggborough). The gang recieved me warmly and tried hard to appreciate the fabulous dynamic range, the clarity, the extraordinary sounds that were coming from the boxes. Gentle attempts to cajole, snap me out of my deathlike trance, small encouragements, 'Anna will be pleased, these can go in the bin.' and so on gave over to being left solitary in my endeavours. The gang set off for the fifty feet trek (to the bar) and I died.

'corse I got better.

But we don't take the piss, seriously, though we do have a larffff and I enjoy the company and,

some wise soul explained what a 'troll' was, a propos of an earlier posting. We don't do that either.

It seems to work.

million thanks to Steve; we could do this more often though.
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

I also thought the Technics sounded very good, but there were several very good sounding decks. Different approaches but all successfully fettled to give a very good result. Wish I could get my deck to sound as good as any of them.
I will one day, after I get these amps finished.....
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Max N wrote:I also thought the Technics sounded very good, but there were several very good sounding decks. Different approaches but all successfully fettled to give a very good result. Wish I could get my deck to sound as good as any of them.
Got that door hung yet? :lol:

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Max N wrote:I also thought the Technics sounded very good, but there were several very good sounding decks. Different approaches but all successfully fettled to give a very good result. Wish I could get my deck to sound as good as any of them.
This is a DJ turntable that has had thousands spent on it to get it up to the standard of the *normal* Garrard 401/301, EMT, Lenco and the better 70's and early 80's DDs like the PL-71. So in whose interest is it to promote this expenditure ???
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

This is a DJ turntable that has had thousands spent on it to get it up to the standard of the *normal* Garrard 401/301, EMT, Lenco and the better 70's and early 80's DDs like the PL-71. So in whose interest is it to promote this expenditure ???
No idea, but as you said, we "mostly build and bodge things", so I don't particularly care TBH.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: This is a DJ turntable that has had thousands spent on it to get it up to the standard of the *normal* Garrard 401/301, EMT, Lenco and the better 70's and early 80's DDs like the PL-71. So in whose interest is it to promote this expenditure ???

but does that matter... we all try and make the most of what we have

a 'very good' turntable can be a souped 'good' turntable.. nothing wrong in that...

loads of people will spend money just to see if it can be done...

and i'm glad... i did the same sort of thing buying drivers last week for my new speakers

wills 401 had a fancy slate plinth, and quite a few other mods to get the best out of it...
the fact that it was mostly diy kept the cost down...

steve
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

As long as the owner is happy with it does it matter ? :wink: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Spot on Guys, just a small nit picky point but the SL1200 was released as a consumer product not a 'DJ' product. DJ's adopted it along the way...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Neal wrote:Spot on Guys, just a small nit picky point but the SL1200 was released as a consumer product not a 'DJ' product. DJ's adopted it along the way...
I read that in HFW too, its just become so linked with DJ's. I didn't know that until I read the article.

The Linn LP12 is a consumer product too innit and some owners spend thousands on those too keeping them up-to-date or whatever the correct saying is. If thats what they want to do, s'fine by me. Why not on an SL1200 or the like.

DTB
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

pre65 wrote:
As long as the owner is happy with it does it matter ? :wink: :lol:
As I said at the start of the thread I am not so much against the turntable I am against the bullshit that is being perpetrated about it. The same as I was against the Linn bullshit in its time. We have a great opportunity for forums and in on line business to get away from the marketing men both professional and amatuer. I suppose I am ranting again :? but I tend to voice my irritation. And now because of the BS look at the people who want to make a buck promoting power supplies, full strip downs and rebuilds, magic dangdoodles and all the other clobber associated with a hype.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: I suppose I am ranting again :? but I tend to voice my irritation.
Don't let it/them get to you matey, go for a walk or a bike ride. Its not worth the stress :) I like flying kites at times, afterwards I feel all mellow and floaty, why not give it a go.

DTB
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Why do you feel the need to "voice your irritation" ?

From what I understand of your "other" business interests one would expect you to remain cool and collected,chilled out even ?

I don't think any of us here are in the market for such things so we don't need convincing about the rights and wrongs of who sells them or how they are sold.

I am very happy for anyone who has purchased items such as you describe and found them to be of benefit but would not want them to try and convince me that I should follow the same path.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

Neal wrote:Spot on Guys, just a small nit picky point but the SL1200 was released as a consumer product not a 'DJ' product. DJ's adopted it along the way...
It has now been tweaked and modified to suit the DJ environment, especially in the motor, it is not like the original 1200. As far as I am concerned the original 1200 is better, but I don't really like any of them. The over engineered start and stop for pro purposes gets in the way of presenting musical colour, it make the thing bland in standard form. So for me the process is like making a silk purse out of a sows ears - if you want to do then it costs.

So my point is why do it when there are many second hand turntables like the ones already mentioned that are far superior as standard - so I say again - what is the point - tweak one of those if tweaking is your bent. Also the Linn upgrades are a poor example, that is just a marketing excercise taking advantage of the brainwashed - so do we need more brainwashed - do we ever learn?
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

please chill out Richard, don't get yourself in a state like you did on PFM,
this is a very laid back site with no aggression at all,
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!