Techy SL1200 Set Up help?

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
DaveK
User

#1 Techy SL1200 Set Up help?

Post by DaveK »

Good Morning Guys,
I have recently acquired a Techy SL1200 TT ex eBay which appears to be in good nick. I have fiited it with a new headshell and cartridge which were set up separately, before I received the Techy. I tried to follow the supplied Operators Manual instructions regarding setting up the tonearm but was unable to achieve what I was trying to achieve in that, having got the tonearm to 'float' freely horizontally, the tonearm would not hold position over the record - it kept floating back to the rest position. The TT was dead level, width and lengthways, according to my spirit level. The only clue I can provide is that, to get the tonearm to 'float' in the horizontal position, the counter balance had to be positioned right on the very end, almost dropping off. Moving the counter balance back in slightly, so that the tonearm was slightly 'cartridge down' allowed the tonearm to hold it's position over the record. In this postion it, to my inexperienced ear, seemed to play the records beautifully.
Any clues, advice help please?
Cheers,
Dave.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Have you unwound whatever anti skate settings there are on the arm?

Normally with a arm that has a wind in counter balance, you first set zero to be the point where the balance exactly equals the weight of your cartridge and headshell. Then having wound the marker to zero, you can wind on the expected tracking force.

The anti-skate applies a force that pulls the arm away from the centre of the record, to counter the force that will be applied when playing a record that will pull the arm inwards. if the anti skate isn't set to zero when the arm is floating it will have the effect you mention of causing the arm to return to the rest position.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.