Anyone used a XV15-1800s

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
al newall
Needs to get out more

#1 Anyone used a XV15-1800s

Post by al newall »

Because i've got one here and it doesn't live up to expectations.
I've seen it described as a "fullbodied sound" and to my mind this one is weedy sounding with more hum than it should have.

I'm comparing it to a Stanton 500 which has more apparent output, far less hum and a nicely balanced sound.
These carts are quoted as having 4.4mV and 4.6mV output respectively. Yet the Stanton is significantly louder.

Duff Pickering maybe? Anyone care to test it in a known source for me?
Much to learn there is.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

can test it in the yamaha tt if you want al, im using nicks phono and you've heard the 2a3 so a fairly well know system.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

I'll take you up on that Cressy if i may.
I've found your address and i'll post it to you. No rush whatsoever.

It may be a problem with the arm, but it seems strange that two other carts have less hum and sound better.
Thanks.
Much to learn there is.
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

I've had both XV15 and XLZ 7500. The XLZ was very much better. The XV15 was a good basic cartridge but lacking emotion.

Re hum, both cartridges come with a plastic mount option - sorry state the bleedin' obvious - is the cartridge body grounded to the headshell? I'm sure you've sussed this but I ought to check!

I remember the XLZ was sensitive to loading, I don't recall such an issue with the XV15.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Hi Clive.

Don't bank on me sussing anything out, as i'm new to vinyl after a long absence. Which is why i'm not using anything exotic as yet.

However, there is no electrical connection between the ally headshell and anything else. The armtube is carbon fibre, and the bearing assy is not mounted on the metal part of the turntable.
I do know the Lenco motor is responsible for some of the hum, but this can be minimised by routing the arm cable carefully.

The Stanton 500 cartridge is of similar construction but doesn't suffer from the same degree of hum. Its also a good bit louder at any given volume setting. It sounds a bit coarse and lacking in detail, compared to the XV15 but has a pleasant full bodied sound i'm not getting from the Pickering.
The same comments also apply to a Shure M75 which is also more balanced.

We'll have to see what Cressy thinks.
Much to learn there is.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

i wouldnt have thought its the arm al, as the one i made for lash up lenco had a similar arrangement, ally lenco headshell and carbon fibre arm tube. and the twin tube one i had on the technics based direct drive a few years ago was the same set up. (really liked that one, shame it ended up scrap......)never had any hum issues with either.

handily, the yamahas arm is similar as it has ally arm tubes and a carbon fibre headshell, so albeit in reverse, it has the same materials in it.

i'll compare it to mi old mans stanton (890 sa i think) as i think it'd be a little unfair to compare it to the benz moving coil and not very useful as a comparison
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Hi Cressy.

I think if its a duff cartridge it should be fairly obvious, though a moving magnet would be the best comparison. At least you'll know if the output really is lower than it should be..

The offending cart is on its way to you, by the way.
Cheers.
Much to learn there is.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

hi al, got the cart on thursday, i'll have a go with it later today, that bloody amp has took up my attention till now im afraid!
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Cressy.

Glad it got there.
Like i said there's no rush.
Someone kindly gave me a vintage Neat arm to play with, so that'll keep me amused for a bit.

Cheers.
Much to learn there is.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi Al

Unfortunately Anthony didn't have time to test the XV15 cartridge so has passed it on to me, where it is now playing in my Lenco/Rega RB251.

Using the XV15 body that it came with, there is indeed a hum coming from it and the thing sounds muffled and lacking in speed and dynamics. To test whether it was the stylus or the generator at fault I put the stylus into a Stanton 6800 body, which is exactly the same body as the Pickering, just says "Stanton" on it instead.

In this body the sound was much better; virtually zero hum and a far better frequency response. It has that characteristic Stanton/Pickering warm, full sound, which some might argue is lacking sparkle at the top, but compared to some of the screechy horrors I've had to put up with over the years, I like it.

So the conclusion has to be that there is something not right with your Pickering cartridge body. The stylus seems fine.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Oh thanks Steve.
Someone sold me a duff secondhand one then :x .
If you can use the stylus, hang on to it.
I'm quite happy with the Shure M75 at the moment, and if my record collection expands beyond 9 playable albums, i'll think about something better.
Thanks for spending the time.
Cheers.
Much to learn there is.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

No problem Al

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.