Eggborough/Vinyl help Please.

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
DaveK
User

#1 Eggborough/Vinyl help Please.

Post by DaveK »

Hi Guys,
I have a bt of a memory test for you - I wonder if your's is any better than mine - you have problems if it isn't :wink: .
Whilst at Eggborough (this year :D ) I listened to a LP of African music - the only track I heard was instrumental so the whole LP may be similar - and I would like to know if anyone can help me identify it.
The music was played in the smaller room in the afternoon - it might have been the first kit demo'd in this afternoon session. The set up was just inside the door on the left. I am hopeless with names so I can't remember the name of the guy who played the LP. All I remember is that the outer cover was very colurful, with lots of red, orange yellow and green all over it, and the music track itself had lots of (African ?) drums.
Ideally the gentleman who played the music will remember it and be able to identify the LP concerned. I was so impressed that I would like to buy it for myself but the LP name was not easy to remeber, for me at least !!
Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Dave.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Hmm, was this playing on Chopsaw's TT? Third photo from the end here:
http://www.atrj13.dsl.pipex.com/na-meet-EggyJune09.htm
DaveK
User

Post by DaveK »

Hi Simon,
Thanks for your quick response. To be honest I don't recall the TT that it was played on (but I do remember that particular TT in the photo being on display in the main room earlier in the day).
If it helps, my recollection is that the 8th photo from the beginning, showing Ed debuting his new Pi Pi speakers is one we should concenrate on. I am (fairly) certain that the guy with the beard (Ed ?) was the one who played the LP and the position of his set up (just inside the door, on the left, in the smaller room), is the right position, judging by the arched windows behind him.
Hope this helps you to help me.
Thanks again.
Dave.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Ah, in that case I've no idea :lol:. But Ed might :).
DaveK
User

Post by DaveK »

simon wrote:Ah, in that case I've no idea :lol:. But Ed might :).
Thanks - any idea about the rest of his identity so I can PM him, please?
Cheers,
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Just go to 'Ed' in the members listing and from there you can send him a pm. However he doesn't often check his pm's (his words not mine) so you have a pm from me with his email address.

Regards
Colin
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Dave

I'm sorry to disappoint but I didn't play any vinyl at that meet. My kit was used by chopsaw to demo his TT so I think the lead from Simon is likely to be the most reliable.

Ed
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
DaveK
User

Post by DaveK »

ed wrote:Hi Dave

I'm sorry to disappoint but I didn't play any vinyl at that meet. My kit was used by chopsaw to demo his TT so I think the lead from Simon is likely to be the most reliable.

Ed
Hi Ed.
Thanks for your response. Can you confirm that your kit was situated just inside the door, on the left as you enter the smaller room and it was the first (or nearly the first) set up to be demo'd in the afternoon. This might save me from chasing up the wrong guy - it's a long shot anyway and I'd like to shorten the odds a bit if I can. :D
Thanks again,
Dave.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Maybe we can work by exclusion. I played this on the TT, cant remember what else was played.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Dave.

If you look at the photo in Simons link. the record label is brightly coloured and similar to your description.
In which case it probably belongs to Chopsaw.
Much to learn there is.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Thanks Al ;).

I'm pretty sure it was Chopsaw that played the music - worth PMing him here and WD? I have a vague recollection that it was 70s??? Attached is a crop of the label in the photo. It's not great but might help? I've spent ages googling what I thought the chponoto bit might say but haven't found anything.
Attachments
record label.JPG
Max N
Old Hand

Post by Max N »

Shpongle?
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Max N wrote:Shpongle?
Brilliant!

You can just about make out the words "Nothing lasts".
Much to learn there is.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Well done Max, how did you get Shpongle from the photo? Could this be they?
DaveK
User

Post by DaveK »

Thanks to all you amateur detectives, particularly Max, for following this trail so diligently. I believe that we (you actually) have achieved success, for which many thanks. I have listened to a couple of Shpongle clips and, whilst I didn't pick the track that I recall hearing at Eggborough, one of the clips was a very similar sort of sound. More to the point, I liked what I heard on these clips and will now ensure that I hear more. Thanks again guys - what a great collection of helpful friendly guys contribute to this forum - I mainly contribute to AoS (similar atmosphere) but I shall have to watch and read what you guys are up to more often.
Cheers,