Goldring Lenco GL78 rebuild and plinth

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote:
SteveTheShadow wrote:Just have to be careful when operating the on/off switch.
Yup, that was how JTS and Jon busted my Nekkid 103 :(

we have a 'house rule' that means the arm lift stays up ALL the time there's not a record playing
Top tip that DTB, I never leave it down while not actually playing, even if on the rest. You never know y'know... strong gust of wind... earthquake...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

I can agree that mass realy does help.

My lenco weight about 65 kilo. The chassis/motor is solidly fixed to about 30 kilo and the bearing/platter/arm are firmly atached to the other 35 kilo.

This sits on a council paving slab shelf whish is firmly built into some concrete block shelves which are not in contact with the walls or floarboards, instead the shelves are built up from the ground level underneath the joists.

Sounds a little overkill maybe but it has practicaly banished any background noise and intro/outro and between tracks is virtualy silent.

First play i thought i'd forgotten to connect something, kept turning up the volume. Thought it wasnt working untill the first note struck and made me jump out my skin :)

lenco + alot of high density mass seems to work very well indeed :)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Speaking of mass,

Listening to the deck now for nearly two weeks revealed that although the sound is fantastically musical and devoid of artificial emphases such as nasty sibilance (sorry Colin) the soundstage did seem to be a little bit constrained in terms of width. Now as my current Stanton cartridge uses a disco needle it is necessarily going to have a low compliance suspension. The cart is about as light as a Denon DL103 and we all know that the DL103 ain't suited to a Rega arm unless mass is added at the headshell.

To cut a long story short, I added a 5p piece to the headhell and rebalanced the arm. Putting the counterweight further away from the pivot and having mass at the headshell brought the effective mass up nicely.

The result was a substantial improvement in the width of the soundstage, which is now positively huge; in the same league as a DL103. Bass goes deeper too and has lost none of its articulation. The icing on the cake I suppose.

It is now nearly two weeks and counting since I played the SB3 or the CD player. The line of LPs on the floor, along the side wall is getting ever longer. :D

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Not much else to report except that I finally got around to adding a nice oak surround to the whole deck.

Went to Ant's place today and discovered that my TT weighs as much as his slate plinthed deck, so it's a thumbs up for storage heater bricks.

I've got loads of the bloody things so if anybody wants to try them out in a plinth, I can always bring a few to Owston, if I can keep the front end of the car down once they are in the boot :lol:

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

speaking of that deck, i got around to sorting it out, and its now on ebay after orders were issues by swmbo. so is the thorens :cry:
Attachments
100_1510.JPG