knackered yamaha pf800, dc motors?

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

having had a pike about in my cupboard today, i found a 24v dc regulated psu that was originally for that lp12 in a cld plinth i did (never found a suitable motor at the time), and another variable supply that was for the idler i was building last year. that never got finished. (again) that supply requires a dc source.. looking at the schematic for the deck it shows what id assume was a 12v supply rail (says 12 anyway) to the motor. the motor has 4 leadouts. one marked 33, one 45 and 2 returns. there is a push switch that selects 33 or 45 on the deck controls, so im not sure if this switch connects the 2 motor windings together to get 45 rpm. question is, is it simply a case of dropping in resistors to drop the 24v dc down to 12, feeding the variable supply with that and then connecting this to the 33 and return. or am i missing something?
(or a motorbike battery, pot and direct connection to the motor)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

You think it's a case where it must have absolutely 12VDC?

If so I would say not, must be a regulated 12V I would have thought. Can't you modify the regulator?

Sounds a bit like one of those cassette motors that have their own built-in speed regulation. Had a poke about with one many years ago; the regulation comprised of centrifugal break switches that appeared to switch off some windings or other.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

im not sure, i havent seen a dc turntable motor with a separate 33 and 45 section actually on them, usually its the supply that is variable as per ol type motors, a simple selector switch that switches between a lower or higher voltage to the motor, and that particular supply is then variable from a pot to trim the voltage to get the right speed. however, i dont ned the 45 rpm setting, so i think i'll see about using 12v tx first to see if the decks regulator board is still alive (i think ive still got one from the old technics dd deck i carved up) and if not use the psu and variable supply. either way, at the mo its buggered so i cant lose! and if that doesnt work go down the o/l route
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

well solutions can come from the strangest places. today my reading lamp packed up. it didnt seem to be the bulb or fuse so i had a look inside. there was a break in the wire where the lamp flexes on a gooseneck, so not being arsed to fix it i had a look at the tx in it. it has a selectable 10 or 12v output via a switch to brighten or dim the bulb, handily all wired in for me. simple as, with 2 wires for the output, i can wire it directly to the regulator board on the deck! no faffing about, so im going to bugger off and see if it works!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

How fortuitous...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

well it works :D tx doesnt fit in the hole for the other though so i'll have to put it in a box and have it offboard, but thankfully the regulator board seems fine. tried it on 10v so's i didnt kill anything else off and it got the motor spinning. so ikea lamps are good for more than just reading!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Image A result methinks