knackered yamaha pf800, dc motors?

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
cressy
Shed dweller

#1 knackered yamaha pf800, dc motors?

Post by cressy »

hi guys, i got my yamaha pf 800 yesterday and the damned thing is dead. all credit to the seller though he has refunded me half of the cost of it. the seller had tested it with the voltage selector set to 110v and blown the power transformer. ive spoken to yamaha who are going to get back to me to see if they can get a replacement transformer but theyve had to contact japan about it so it doesnt look promising.
they are also going to see if they can tell me the output voltage of it so ican get a replacement made if they cant. problem is that even if they can the board itsself might be fried.
so
other options are to rip it all out and stick in another dc motor such as the origin live kit. trouble is that the bog basic one is 250 quid. the deck is well worth saving though as the platter and bearing a really good and the arm is apparently very good. tbh overall its a very well designed deck. does anyone know of any other company or supplier that could provide a motor? a simple rectified psu shouldnt be too difficult to make, or a firm/supplier that could provide a motor and a kit psu before i start grabbing overtime to go with origin live? cheers guys
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

If it were me I'd look see if the board is OK or can be fixed if not, or make a copy of it?

Plus as you say find out what the TX voltages are and find a replacement.

Think it'd be easier in the long run than changing the motor by the sounds of it

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Apparently can get service manual from vinyl engine, but have to log in or register:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/yamaha/pf-800.shtml

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

yep, i got the service manual from there before i received it for just such an eventuality..........................doesnt give the voltage for the tx anywhere i can see though
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

on the schematic, the only voltage i can see anywhere is between 12 and 12.5, i cant attatch the pdf though as its too large. how do i attatch one page?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Ummm...

Could you grab the adobe window with a graphics program?

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Looking at the circuit diagram there seems to be a number (after the bridge) of 19.1 . Could that be volts ?

If so you could try playing with PSU designer and see what transformer might provide that.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

That's clever, how can you see it from there? :D

If it is, I make it 13.5 AC? Bit of an odd value

We deduce from this the motor's 12VDC then? Could be 15VAC with a load on it I suppose

cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

15 was my initial thought when i saw that voltage after the bridge, the bridge adding to the voltage already supplied. it does say in a small section above and to the left 24v-15 v and 2 current ratings, i could try a 12v tx i suppose, cant do any more damage to it, plus i might have one somewhere..........
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Be very careful if you consider the OL route. I'm not at all up to date with their products but when I was several years ago, the motor and power supply they offered was pretty crap with such a low motor torque, dust falling on the TT out of the atmosphere would slow it down :lol: Well not that bad but it was pretty bad.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I use a Sankyo video motor on my belt drive turntable.

E-bay of course. :wink:

Edmund Burke

cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

wise words there i feel after speaking to them greg, 250 is alot for a motor, id personally prefer to get a motor and make a psu for it if yamaha cant get a tx, incedentally, theyre probably the best company ive dealt with in a long time, simply because you get the feeling they actually give a shit! the lady i spoke to was really helpful and has bent over backwards to try to help me out. shame other companies arent the same
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

i have a nice yp800 is it the same one..?
it looks like a good deck.. but its been in a box for a couple of years

edit... i think its direct drive.. yours must be belt drive..
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

The YP-800 is direct drive,like the YP-D7 that I use.

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Greg wrote:dust falling on the TT out of the atmosphere would slow it down :lol: Well not that bad but it was pretty bad.
LOL so a gnat sneezing on it could cause wow and flutter