Thorns TD160B restore

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:Remind me, what's that got on it?

Yeah Royal Mail you still must put "Fragile" or "do not bend" on things.
is doesn't seem to make any deferents what is on a package whether it says fragile or not these days they don't seem to care anymore
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Was having a rummage through me old dad's LP's, what's left of them, just for a change of something to listen too.

I'd taken out the ni-cad cathode bias batteries from the pre-amp, cos of how they ended up not working too well in Rocky IV, reverted to the previous RC set-up (take insulation tape off two wires and reconnect).

Then I thought "'ello", treble's a gnat's weak, possibly, well yes 'cause, first EQ stage (treble) had an extra 15k added because of the batteries. OK then, 15k's, out you go .... yes that's more betterer.

Then remembered someone gave me a felt mat, so on that went.

Then big O-ring on the circumference (eventually! Isn't it peevish when you nearly get the last bit on then the other side pops off?)

Don't know it it's cos the record is making better contact on the platter cos of the mat or cos the felt mat is thinner so increases VTA a gnat's, anyroad, noticeably better top-end and a bit more "energy" discernible.

And then ~ you stupid berk! :oops: you haven't taken the metal centre out! (Turn it upside down for large hole 45's ~ yes one of those). The record centres had been just "balanced" on the raised edge. (Rubber mat is same thickness and goes around the outside of this insert, 'course felt mat just has small record sized hole so was lying on top, duh)

Yes that's more like it, Sounds a bit happier like that :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep haven't looked at me TD160B restore the sibilance problems I was having g with it I went for the rega instead as I had a rega bearing glass platter and motor
Just got the rega 3 plinth off EBay remounted the motor so it don't rattle about why rega mounted the motors like that with a flimsy rubber band I don't know now sounds great with the rega 250/1042 8)

But at the time to be fair to the TD160 the phono 2 was just built and the 1042 cart was brand new so nether the phono or the cart had been give any burn in time I will re-visit the TD160 thou and try it again with new plinth and maybe wood arm board this time
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

colin.hepburn wrote: I will re-visit the TD160 thou and try it again with new plinth and maybe wood arm board this time
That is a very good idea, Colin. I can't really comment on TD160, but my original TD150 absolutely pi**ed on the performance of a Rega 3. We swapped out my Dad's Rega for the Thorens and now my brother uses it, again replacing the Rega. IMHO they are in defferent performance leagues.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Greg
yep not much luck with the TD 160 last time Round but it will spin again :)
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes that was weird, maybe the aluminium armboard with the open space underneath is ringing or something? The oak jobbie cressy ran up does the job, p'raps that's the sort of thing to try next. :?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep the TD160Bs will be back on the to do list again but waiting at the bottom too much on EL34 to build phono 2 to finish i.e. couple more tweaks and case work to do on that in between re-decorating and building a new audio rack for all the system :P
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Not too much to do then Image

DSJR
User

Post by DSJR »

'Scuse me if i have this wrong, but if the Rega motor is fixed to the plinth as in current production but is an old one, make sure you have the later supply board, as the reason why the motor was suspended before was huge vibration, which the later board minimises very successfully.....

One of the TD160 mods my firm did was to fit a wooden beam to the sub-chassis, tight fitting and bolted round the bearing (with Araldite or hot-melt or similar) and offering the contact with the arm, the Thorens plate abandoned. I thought it sounded a little better myself, but it was a huge amount of work IMO.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Well yes it's still the older Rega motor what I bid was to just remount the motor by replacing the rubber band with a rectangle peace of rubberized felt mat between the motor and underside of the plinth works better and seems to kill any vibration i am planning later to build thicker plinth with a cutaway for the new motor which will be mounted on its own plinth underneath
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

#146 Another look at my Thorens TD160

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi All
Well I decided to have another go at getting my Thorens TD160B to work as it is suppose to and I am Very happy to say it has been a success this time round. Still needs a bit of fettling but its sounding very good .So What have I done with it well first up I mounted a brand new Standard Rega RB251 with a new Arm plate to match the RB251 3 point mounting fitted the G1042 Cart. Oiled up the bearing new belt and leveled it up and first up was Tracy Chapman's album expecting more of the same old sibilance but no just a well portray sound stage with Chapman's voice rock solid in the middle with some nice detail in there lovely and it gets better :D :D
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Nice one Colin, so, either a new arm fixed it, or ... messing it about again fixed something else :?:

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:Nice one Colin, so, either a new arm fixed it, or ... messing it about again fixed something else :?:

Yep A bit o fiddling and of course the G1042 was new last time so wasn't burned in and the Wad phono stage was newly built at the time so didn't help. Now the 160 is singing more so with that counterweight hanging of the back of the RB251 trouble is I only have it on a 60 day trial. As it's just a prototype at the moment from a chap on another forum but it really works well opening up and adding more depth to the sound stage and adding to the dynamics brilliant its loosely model on the SME VI counterweight
PS The thorns TD160 has warranted its self a new plinth i think :D
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

What happens when the 60 days are up?

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:What happens when the 60 days are up?

Option to Buy or send it back :(

If you want more info on the AI Counterweight check the links I think the trial option is just for members of the crossover network forum thou
http://www.analogueinnovation.com/page3.htm

http://thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/ ... ight/page2
http://thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/ ... nterweight
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage