Thorns TD160B restore

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

#1 Thorns TD160B restore

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi All
Well having made a start in restoring my thorns TD160 B first stripped and cleaned all parts replacing themotor sub chassis rubber mounts and springs remain the originals as they still look fine I doubt replacing them with same off eBay would have made any difference unless buying new Linn LP12 springs also left sub chasse damping in place still considering whether to build second plinth round the original and fill gap between the two with silver sand requires a Arm mount for rega 300 but not sure of the ones you get off eBay as they're made from aluminium I think some sort of wood will likely sound better has anyone got a template for the thorns160 plus rega arm board :)

Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Hi Colin, yay, someone else has got a Thorens! Image

Er, bit mispelt? 'thorens', not 'thorns'?

So thats the 'B' version is it? I've got two 'mark one's', the second I got via ebay last year, is earlier than my orignal one (1975) yet seems better, curiously ~ I've got a web page about it

http://livinginthepast-audioweb.co.uk/thorens160.html

Right first question, what do the black stick-on sheet type thingies do and where do you get 'em?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Mike
The sheet you are referring is rubber damping it was on the deck when I got it just a pain in the ass to come off however it s intended use is for damping
The inner platter has it as well very effective at cancelling out ringing what it is well don't know but its similar to http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/i ... rials.html also see thorens Dept for tweaking http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_dept_.htm some use cork sheet yep seen your deck on your site what I require now is the arm board for rega RB300
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Oh yes I see

Make one maybe?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Yep could do but getting sizes and the hole for the rega right may be a bit tricky also choice of wood to use maybe if I can find a template for it last resort an aluminium one can be got off eBay don't like the idea of aluminium as arm board though still could use it as the template I supposes :roll:
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Oh I see what you mean, need the positions. That might be an idea tho, get something with the 'oles in the right places to use as a pattern. Image

So that will mean cutting down the top panel to match, or replacing it, or something?

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:Oh I see what you mean, need the positions. That might be an idea tho, get something with the 'oles in the right places to use as a pattern. Image

So that will mean cutting down the top panel to match, or replacing it, or something?
Yep best plan is to get one of these I think a bit hight on price me thinks but makes it easier to do
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0273475230
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

hi colin, ive got a rega armboard for a td 150, if the measurements are the same for the mounting positions i could make you one up in oak if you want, if the subchassis dimensions are the same then the distances from the left hand side of the armboard should be the same too. id have to cut it out of a large oak post ive got on the table saw but it shouldnt be a problem if you want one making. or i could run up a blank for you, give us a shout if so as as the 45 amps done, im going to start on the td 150 shortly. have a look at the "upcoming experiment" thread in i think everyones projects (cant remember where it is) for what im planning.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Oh well there you go! An offer you can't refuse?

colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Cressy
Yes thank you for the offer I will take you up on that if I may :)
Still will have to find sizes the TD 150 has a longer board based on the Linn LP12 the TD 160s Board size is 82mm X 53 mm don't know what the depth is at this time see pic for idea allso this one at bottom of page for the SME will give a better idea

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Precision-Thorens ... RCH:GB:101
Cheers i will get back too you later 8)
Colin

Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

can you post a top down pic of the deck with the main platter on, reason i ask is tha the 150 main platter has about 6 or 7 mil overhang onto the armboard so if its the same it'll be a straight copy
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

try this one not the best pic iv taken if you require a better one let me know

Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

ok can you measure the distance between the platters edge and the edge of the armboard square and centre to the spindle? that plus the overhang on the 150 should give me the means to calculate the mounting distance give or take a mil, i can overlay the rega armboard onto the blank and drill it out. it'll give me the overhang i need to position the 150 blank on the oak blank
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Is it not just a case where you only need the distance between the platter spindle centre and the arm pivot centre and then the overhang? Or summat like that ... Image

Oh wait a minute, also where it intersects the outside circumference

Incidentally I notice that is not the original rubbery mat ~ only mention it because I discovered the orignal does a good job of damping platter ringing. Tried it on mine 'tother day; off, 'ting'; on, 'donk'.

cressy
Shed dweller

Post by cressy »

what i mean by the offset is how far over the left hand edge of the blank i need to position the 150 board on top of it so i can mark it up for drilling. the 150 board goes under the platter by about 7mm and the pic shows the 160 board is 'outside' the platter by something like 7mm. that would mean the 150 board needs to be 14mm further to the left on top of the blank to get the correct mounting distance. i.e if i made a straight copy of the 150 board the mounting would be 14mm too long if mounted on a 160. for the rega it would position it at about 242mm as opposed to the correct 228. (i think its 228, need to have a look)
Last edited by cressy on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.