Thorns TD160B restore

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

colin.hepburn wrote: Option to Buy or send it back :(
Right, :D OK I'll put it a different way, do you know which option you are going to do yet?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Mike H wrote:
colin.hepburn wrote: Option to Buy or send it back :(
Right, :D OK I'll put it a different way, do you know which option you are going to do yet?

Well I have the option to buy but he did say it won't be cheap as he has to recoup his outlay thou I believe he wants to try and get them into production which will make them cheaper supposedly
So to answer your question mike would I buy it well that's a big yes but only if it's cheaper than the techno counterweight I will only shell out a limited amount for what is after all a just lump o steal and I have still to try it up against my other counterweight which is the same one you have I think
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Ah right I'm with it now, so you got the RB251, it's just a question of the counterweight. Well, I'd try the other one see if it's OK. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Well heres my badly written review of the Rega AI Counterweight upgrade

Thorens TD160B standard rega 251 G1040 Cart AI Rega Counterweight upgrade kit Albums Used
Tracy Chapman Album of same name
Sade Promises
First up was Chapman album Well the AI counterweight created a Weighty and wide sound stage where Chapman's Voice was well define and rock solid in center stage instruments had good space between them cymbals were smooth and clean to the point if you are a drummer you could most likely tell which brand was being used Next up Sade Promises again this album sounded very involving her voice clean and clear sax in particular just hanging in space If you Do nothing else to you Rega RB251/250 you owe it to yourself the get Johns AI Rega Counterweight
Used on a standard Rega Arm will elevate you Arm to new heights believe Me
Part two to come
Audio Origami Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M Blue Cart Rega Planner Three

Hi All
Part two
Right
Audio Origami Rega RB250/Ortofon 2M Blue Cart Rega Planner Three
Right this time I used my own low slung brass Counterweight with which the end stub is just screw in to the arm thread so isn't de-coupled. So assumed by some this shouldn't't work well I have news for you it works just fine using the same two Albums. as I did with the TD160/standard rega 251.Well the Bigger weightier wide sound stage was there in spades lots of space between instruments' on a Black background A very clean and focused sound I thought much better than the Thorens TD160 sd rega251 but this was still very good at this point I changed over two Johns Rega AI Counterweight and cued up Sade's Album promises sat back to enjoy well it didn't take long thinking bloody hell that's good the same Weighty and wide sound stage was there but this time the far left/right edges of the sound stage became more defined and were sharper and cleaner any blurring had gone it was like opening a window in front of you speakers
And so to conclude this review johns Counterweight is an Audiophile upgrade to any rega arm and special with a J7 Audio Origami modded Rega RB250
Top job John R

http://www.analogueinnovation.com/page3.htm
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage