DHT Heater using VCCS - PCB or Kit (Possible Group buy)

What people are working on at the moment
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Hi Andrew - only just really read this thread - what approach are you using - I've been playing with something along the Tent Labs line but using high-side current sensing (instead of low) and instrumentation amps (AD8274 / AD8603) with a TIP121 at the moment - also using an ultra-low-noise reference voltage - not an expensive, though slightly exotic, design...

All probably overkill, but they are low-cost and extremely low noise, as well as being temperature stabilised.

I like the Tent Labs over-temperature safety too, but I fail to see why its needed if the design of the VCCS is right...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Hi Nick,

Its a twin op amp design using a cost effective generic rail to rail twin op amp, current is sensed in the tail of the CCS.

I plan to use a TL431 as the Vref as it can be set with just two resistors, its pretty cheap and absolute accuracy isn't all that important. I'm not wedded to the TL431; it just seemed a practical solution to allow folk to run at various voltages.

The image attched is the best I've manged yet in terms of spectrum. I tried powering the op amp from its own (bench) supply, it was actually worse.

Andrew
Attachments
raw_dc_1mar2_small.jpg
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

This may be a spanner in the works, but I'd forgotten all about it but just remembered and found it again. First found this over a year ago. Design by Kees Soeters?
Attachments
filament-supply1.gif
filament-supply1.gif (11.34 KiB) Viewed 9900 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote:This may be a spanner in the works, but I'd forgotten all about it but just remembered and found it again. First found this over a year ago. Design by Kees Soeters?
Indeed - http://members.ziggo.nl/techgraphix/PDF ... Supply.pdf

Main pages for his astonishing 300B amp - http://members.ziggo.nl/techgraphix/Amplifier.html

I remember coming across this years ago (2005/2006?) and being amazed at the workmanship - a bit "blingy" for my tastes, but very impressive work ntl... e.g. having your star earth stud hallmarked (even though no-one can see it) because its made from 99.999% pure silver. Sheer lunacy :)
Last edited by jack on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Mike H wrote:This may be a spanner in the works, but I'd forgotten all about it but just remembered and found it again. First found this over a year ago. Design by Kees Soeters?
Some similarities, but that just confirms we're on the right track.

Andrew
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Fairy nuff!

Think you were asking me about this a while ago, or somebody was, as an alternative to e.g. the Rod Coleman method insofar self Voltage stabilisation could be incorporated as well.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Andrew, for 2.5V out (2A3) what would be the volts in required, roughly....I have 5.5V and 7.5V options with my existing TX.
I reckon the 7.5v should be fine, I used 9v RMS for 5v out, which gives 12v smoothed DC or about 7v working overhead between Vin and Vout. I may try this out as a test case, I might be able to get the required voltage down a bit more, dunno, yet, its all work in progress.

Andrew
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

Andrew wrote:
Andrew, for 2.5V out (2A3) what would be the volts in required, roughly....I have 5.5V and 7.5V options with my existing TX.
I reckon the 7.5v should be fine, I used 9v RMS for 5v out, which gives 12v smoothed DC or about 7v working overhead between Vin and Vout. I may try this out as a test case, I might be able to get the required voltage down a bit more, dunno, yet, its all work in progress.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

First prototype layout done...I'll try out a home made PCB sometime soon.

Andrew
Attachments
doohicky3.png
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Megastar!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Shoddy!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I finally managed to dislodge the digit and here's prototype PCB #1.

I found a few things layout-wise I want to change so its been worthwhile exercise; testing will commence this coming week.

Andrew
Attachments
First attempt at a PCB done using my homebrew kit.
First attempt at a PCB done using my homebrew kit.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Quite a shock, it worked first time ;)

Mk2 to iron out a few layout bugs and some measurements on this one to follow.
Attachments
DSC_0598_small.jpg
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Top work young fella !
It's definitely very topical for me as I'm going to be trying 4P1L as a driver for 300B pretty soon .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

What voltage/current are those Mark?