The cloud.

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#16 Re: The cloud.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oooo missed all this - have you ever been in a salt mine? I've been in a couple or three in different countries. I don't think it's relevant.

I was quite happy with Danno's analogy. I'm a simple soul, I do not inhabit the tortuous complicated world that Jack does- ok he understands all this stuff but I don't touch 'The Cloud' - why would I? a 1 terabyte hard drive more than covers my dull, quotidian lifestyle. And yet I'm happy.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: The cloud.

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:15 pm ... quotidian lifestyle. And yet I'm happy.
Me too, I think Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon is a great album.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey

#18 Re: The cloud.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ha ha... reminds me of a blues guitarist who I (once) played with... Dave (the guitar) Kelly. I was only 17 and I was doing the 1-4-5. bit while he was significantly doing some rather nice minor key pentatonic noodling.

Halcyon days.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#19 Re: The cloud.

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:15 pm ...my dull, quotidian lifestyle...
Whilst we're on big words with a Latin root etymology, the above is a tautology.
Last edited by jack on Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: The cloud.

Post by Mike H »

What have we started now ... Image

I think what Phil and me meant was file storage, e.g. Microsoft keep nagging me to use OneDrive, ditto Apple re iCloud, I prefer my files to be on my devices here. Unreasonable of me I know. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: The cloud.

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:20 pm What have we started now ... Image

I think what Phil and me meant was file storage, e.g. Microsoft keep nagging me to use OneDrive, ditto Apple re iCloud, I prefer my files to be on my devices here. Unreasonable of me I know. :D
Yes, you have the same opinion as me. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#22 Re: The cloud.

Post by Neal »

Blimey that’s two new words I’ve had to google :)
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: The cloud.

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:17 pm
andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:15 pm ...my dull, quotidian lifestyle...
Whilst we're on big words with a Latin root etymology, the above is a tortology.
Did you mean "tautology" ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#24 Re: The cloud.

Post by Neal »

Ahem…I was a systems architect for cloud storage solutions and yes I can see the confusion when somebody mentions the ‘cloud’ it can mean many things.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#25 Re: The cloud.

Post by jack »

Neal wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:46 pm Ahem…I was a systems architect for cloud storage solutions and yes I can see the confusion when somebody mentions the ‘cloud’ it can mean many things.
Yep. It's a complicated and confusing world out there. "The cloud" is really a marketing term and is much abused by companies and punters alike.

What are you doing now, if you've dropped systems architecture?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey

#26 Re: The cloud.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

The dull quotidian blah blah is not a tautology for daily practises even if repetitious don't have to be dull. My life, however, is dull when compared to the dare devil derring do sort of things you lot get up to in the white puffy bits of a deep blue yonder...
rowuk
Old Hand

#27 Re: The cloud.

Post by rowuk »

Regardless of the details, as Nick stated, the cloud is just someone elses computer at the other end of an IP pipe. That means that they ultimately call the shots about everything that happens with that remote computer - regardless whether it is access to a service, a platform or infrastructure.

I too prefer to keep my media local on MY computers as well as organising and performing the backups. My wife does enjoy iCloud for making all pictures and videos available to all of her devices.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#28 Re: The cloud.

Post by Ray P »

Happily using Microsoft OneDrive and Google Drive - my files follow me around whatever device I am using and I don't have to worry about backups and the like - had a terminal PC failure recently and didn't lose any of my files. I also have an Office365 subscription, I use LastPass, Googlemail, Imgur, etc. etc.

The only files I have 'at home' are what constitute my music library, which is hosted on a NAS with mirrored disks and I keep a regular backup off-site (in my office).
Last edited by Ray P on Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Neal
Shed dweller

#29 Re: The cloud.

Post by Neal »

jack wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:56 am
Neal wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:46 pm Ahem…I was a systems architect for cloud storage solutions and yes I can see the confusion when somebody mentions the ‘cloud’ it can mean many things.
Yep. It's a complicated and confusing world out there. "The cloud" is really a marketing term and is much abused by companies and punters alike.

What are you doing now, if you've dropped systems architecture?
Oh happily semi-retired now Nick, I do a bit of IT support for a few clients and I have a part time job that keeps me busy…
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#30 Re: The cloud.

Post by Ali Tait »

Recently been looking for a new NAS. They certainly haven’t gotten any cheaper..