C3g Aikido Phono

What people are working on at the moment
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#286 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Here's R3 with a stepped load from 30R to 70R in 10R steps.
30R green
40R blue
50R red
60R cyan
70R magenta
BoozehoundLabs Pre-Preamp Sim 2 stepped Source resistor.png
BoozehoundLabs Pre-Preamp Sim 2 stepped Source resistor.png (194.95 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Interesting that much less than 50R dramatically reduces gain, increasing it doesn't change (decreases) it much.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#287 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Presumably to parallel the fet each will need a gate and source resistor? I can't quite work out in my mind before simming this whether it will increase the gain, or improve noise. Possibly both?
Nick
Site Admin

#288 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by Nick »

The gate resistor will be needed for each one. in case you don't know, its job is to protect the fet if the input is sent too +ve. The gate/source junction will become a forward biased diode (as shown in the symbol) and its to prevent excess current in that case. This is one of these bits of information that's hard to find, once you know it its obvious, but the net is full of people assuming (and stating confidently) that its to prevent instability as it would be in the case of a valve.

The source resistor, I would use 10R or so source resistor under each fet, then join them together and use a single resistor under those.

The main advantage is lower noise.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#289 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by Mike H »

simon wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:37 pm
Mike H wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:30 pm Screenshot 2024-02-14 192036.png
What's this analysis you did Mike? (The sine wave jobbie.)
Where you've got your '.ac oct ...' etc.

Right mouse click on it, change it to '.tran 1' (transient, 1 second - or 5 seconds, or even a fraction of a second)

From the help file -

Perform a transient analysis. This is the most direct simulation of a circuit. It basically computes what happens when the circuit is powered up. Test signals are often applied as independent sources.

Syntax: .TRAN <Tstep> <Tstop> [Tstart [dTmax]] [modifiers]

.TRAN <Tstop> [modifiers]

LTspice's window for it: Menu > Simulate > Edit Simulation Command
-
Screenshot 2024-02-15 182548.png
Screenshot 2024-02-15 182548.png (41.61 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
-

If there is no simulation command on the schematic, more usually because the schematic is new and not been run yet, you should automatically get this window when you try to run it.

You can delete the run command or turn it into a comment, and the window will appear again.

Hope that makes sense.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#290 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Thanks Mike. There's a lot to Spice, I've only scratched the surface so far. Just spent some time looking at noise...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#291 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:28 am The gate resistor will be needed for each one. in case you don't know, its job is to protect the fet if the input is sent too +ve. The gate/source junction will become a forward biased diode (as shown in the symbol) and its to prevent excess current in that case. This is one of these bits of information that's hard to find, once you know it its obvious, but the net is full of people assuming (and stating confidently) that its to prevent instability as it would be in the case of a valve.

The source resistor, I would use 10R or so source resistor under each fet, then join them together and use a single resistor under those.

The main advantage is lower noise.
I didn't know, no, thanks.

I've had a go at modelling noise, though TBF just because I've produced some graphs it doesn't mean they're necessarily correct!

First, I added a second fet to the Boozehound
Boozehound Parallel.png
Boozehound Parallel.png (103.99 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
I gave it its own drain resistor too, rightly or wrongly.

So, noise for the TubeCAD
TubeCAD Noise.png
TubeCAD Noise.png (142.53 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Next the Boozehound
Boozehound Noise.png
Boozehound Noise.png (155.43 KiB) Viewed 1141 times
Can't seem to upload another image, so on to the next post.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#292 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

And finally the paralleled Boozehound noise
Boozehound Parallel Noise.png
Boozehound Parallel Noise.png (170.2 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
It's a bit tricky comparing them so I scaled off the plots and graphed in Excel
Noise.png
Noise.png (141.16 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
It's been really interesting investigating noise. Paralleling the fet makes a big difference, presumably the law of diminishing returns sets in pretty quickly though?

The TubeCAD sims better than the paralleled Boozehound below 60Hz though. Whether this is important though I don't know.

I wonder how the paralleled Boozehound compares with step up trafos? Only one way to find out I suppose.
Nick
Site Admin

#293 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by Nick »

Yep the noise will reduce for every doubling of the FETs. I think there is a error though. The 40r source resistor is shorted out
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#294 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

So it is. Nuts, it took ages to read off the noise levels.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#295 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Updated for the shorted 40R resistor, a little light relief at lunch. Interesting results that needs more investigation. Noise was better with the shorted common resistor, but maybe gain was affected?
Noise2.png
Noise2.png (162.59 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Nick
Site Admin

#296 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by Nick »

Yep, you maybe need to compensate for any gain change. Its the S/N ratio that matters in this case. Also, you tend to get that sort of noise/f curve depending on the type of noise source (thermal, shot, partition etc ). Generally paralleling devices will reduce noise proportionally to square root of the number of devices.

I can send you some LSK170's if you want to try that circuit.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#297 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Well, the gain had dropped around 3dB. Changing the lower resistor R9 to 20R was about optimal for gain, but the gain drops really quite quickly below this so I used 22R for a little safety margin in sim inaccuracy. This sims as a gain of 28dB, so just over 9x.

Then I tried increasing the coupling cap C1 from 10nF to 20nF - this decreased noise below 200Hz, significantly so below around 60Hz and puts it closer to the TubeCAD. TBH I only used 10nF as the smallest capacitance I could get away with whilst keeping roll off acceptable. It might be interesting to try 100nF or even 470nF.
Noise3.png
Noise3.png (154.16 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#298 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:59 pm I can send you some LSK170's if you want to try that circuit.
Well I think it would be rude not to, thanks :-D. I'm kinda fascinated to find out how this sounds now.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#299 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Doubling the voltage to 24V adds another .7dB, hardly worth it.

I suppose I should add another fet to see what the effect is, it's a bit of an effort with LTSpice though as I don't think you can copy groups.
Nick
Site Admin

#300 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by Nick »

Send me your address