Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
steve s
Shed dweller

#31 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by steve s »

Morgan Jones wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:15 pm I'm afraid that if you claim I've made seven errors but fail to specify them, thereby denying the right to respond, then that's discourteous because it makes the assumption that all your bones of contention are correct. And they may not be.

Hi Morgan, I for one appreciated your very useful (certainly to me) and well intentioned post.
Tonearm arm wiring is something I've shied away from, and to me that was useful and practical advice
Cheers
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#32 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by steve s »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:24 am The classification of the job as "horribly fiddly " is a value judgement not a fact .

Some people may find it ' therapeutically difficult'

That is the first paragraph .
I must agree with phil's comments ..
I have attempted soldering very fine wires and morgans descriptions to me are very apt.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#33 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by Nick »

Good reference to the Optivisor, they look good. I use one of these:

I find them better (myself) as its quicker and simpler to switch from with to without the lenses, And they work well while also wearing glasses. YMMV.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#34 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Logical fallacy . Generalising from the particular .

Furthermore agreeing with someone does not shift thier opinion to fact . Even if 1000s agreed.
Nick
Site Admin

#35 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:31 pm Logical fallacy . Generalising from the particular .

Furthermore agreeing with someone does not shift thier opinion to fact . Even if 1000s agreed.
Conversely, only one person stating a fact does not make it merely an opinion.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#36 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by Daniel Quinn »

No , the laws of logic established it was .
Nick
Site Admin

#37 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:49 pm No , the laws of logic established it was .
I don't understand that post if its a reply to mine. What does "it" and "was" refer to?

But to go back to Morgans post.

"Hum: Tightly twisted pair per channel. The loose four-wire twist usually used is very poor at rejecting hum."

Are you suggesting that the bold part is an opinion? I would regard it as an observable and measurable fact.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#38 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:49 pm No , the laws of logic established it was .
Makes no sense to me either. :?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#39 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I used the example "horribly fiddly "

Thus by logical inference all the comments I made are refering to this example.

A fact is a piece of information that can be shown to be true .

Thus 'horribly fiddly' is necessarily an opinion .
Nick
Site Admin

#40 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:34 pm I used the example "horribly fiddly "

Thus by logical inference all the comments I made are refering to this example.

A fact is a piece of information that can be shown to be true .

Thus 'horribly fiddly' is necessarily an opinion .
I am not sure how anyone would view "horribly fiddly" as anything more than an opinion. But if that's what you are talking about, then fine.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#41 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I took issue with the o/p writing style because he had a habit of presenting opinion as fact. In what was an interesting post.

The rest of the diversion was prompted by responses.

May I suggest you figure out if you want to play irrelevant logic games in future before you begin .
shane
Social outcast

#42 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by shane »

Could we just go back to the original subject please? I don’t care about whether Morgan’s statements are opinion or fact. I’m a grown-up so I can judge that for myself. His contribution is a valuable one either way, but right now I wouldn’t blame him for deciding it’s really not worth bothering, which would be a great loss.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#43 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by IslandPink »

+1
I cannot blame anyone for not bothering with this forum right now, and that's a damn shame, given what's it's meant to us over the years.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#44 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by pre65 »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:49 pm +1
I cannot blame anyone for not bothering with this forum right now, and that's a damn shame, given what's it's meant to us over the years.
Agreed, but I hope Morgan won't let one "argumentative twerp" stop him contributing to the forum most of us hold dear.
Last edited by pre65 on Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#45 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by shane »

I agree with your sentiment Phil, but name-calling is hardly helpful.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.