Salad Bowl Speakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

I had a stroll into town yesterday and popped into the local Wilko store, where the shelves are looking increasingly empty. Anyway, I bought the last four of these Acacia wood salad bowls for £48 - I thought they might be a fun little speaker project. Glued together they'll form an enclosure about 25cm diameter, though not strictly spherical because of the flattened 'base', with a volume of about 7litres.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-acaci ... /p/0535342

Last edited by Ray P on Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Morgan Jones
User

#2 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Morgan Jones »

What a good idea. I have always kept an eye on the kitchen section for useful boxes etc - I bought a rather nice cork container a while ago from Sainsburys that may one day become the insulation for a temperature-sensitive lab measurement. I must see if there's anything at Wilko that I can subvert.

I've just checked and my local Wilko claims to have six in stock. Time for a trip into town.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Paul Barker »

Agree, ive even bought a few similar things in past. But sadly nevr do anything with them. Need to buy nothng more for the moment.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:38 pm Agree, ive even bought a few similar things in past. But sadly nevr do anything with them. Need to buy nothng more for the moment.
I dint think I’ll get round to that push pull v1505 amp either Morgan. So sorryto let you down.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Morgan Jones
User

#5 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Morgan Jones »

I doubt that many people make a push-pull V1505 amplifier! Too hairy. Nice to see you here. I still remember the clip-lead amplifier...

Wilko Acacia Wood Large Salad Bowl
Price Shown Includes Reduction
£15.00

Delivery Unavailable

This item is only available for home delivery

Cut and pasted (and a few bits removed). Now we know why Wilko is going bust. I went and looked anyway, but there was nothing useful.
Ray P

#6 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

Morgan Jones wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:18 pm I doubt that many people make a push-pull V1505 amplifier! Too hairy. Nice to see you here. I still remember the clip-lead amplifier...

Wilko Acacia Wood Large Salad Bowl
Price Shown Includes Reduction
£15.00

Delivery Unavailable

This item is only available for home delivery

Cut and pasted (and a few bits removed). Now we know why Wilko is going bust. I went and looked anyway, but there was nothing useful.
Wilko have suspended home delivery because of their problems, you have to go in store to buy them, if they've got stock of course. An alternative is the Ikea Blanda bowl. Lots of stuff on using them on DIY Audio

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/blanda-mat ... cks_Eating

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Morgan Jones
User

#8 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Morgan Jones »

But stoopid!

Golly! I was only little when I heard that gag on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in. With a young and supposedly dizzy Goldie Hawn.

And the Ikea bowl looks good. No idea if there's an Ikea near us. Thanks for the tip.
Ray P

#9 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

I could just glue the bowls tofgether and stick some drive units in them on the flat sections like most people have done with Ikea bowl projects but I've been mulling over a few ideas to have a bit more fun and do something a litle different - I'm not looking for the ultimate speaker, just something that performs pretty well but has a bit of novelty.

So, I'm thinking of making a tube and gluing the bowls on either end and then adding some legs to make something with a nod to 1950's rocket ship designs. It would be more cylindrical that the picture below but it should give the idea.;

Of course, adding in a tube will increase the volume to get lower bass. I have some 4inch Chinese full range drive units available or I may go with some larger MarkAudio full-rangers. Calculate a bass-reflex enclosure using an on-line calculator, with the port downward facing. I could make the tube section using flexible mdf/flexi-ply or stacked sandwich construction.

Thoughts?
Ray P

#10 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

Maybe the shape would be more like the Space X rocket

Would be fairly easy to get a cosmetic pointed nose3D printed.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#11 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Toppsy »

Ray, what about something like this:

If I was still making speaker I might be tempted to build a similar pair. 8)
Greg
Social outcast

#12 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Greg »

Oh yes! A string of audiophile love beads :bounce:
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Ray P

#13 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by Ray P »

Toppsy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:11 am Ray, what about something like this:
Not very taken with that look Colin, I feel it needs to be painted pink with yellow dots, and besides, I only have four of the Wilko's bowls. Wilkos do have some smaller ones though.
brig001
Old Hand

#14 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by brig001 »

Toppsy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:11 am Ray, what about something like this:

If I was still making speaker I might be tempted to build a similar pair. 8)
I have wondered about those, but the centre to centre distance looks too big to me. Wonder if they could be cut to make a snowman sort of shape

Brian
Last edited by brig001 on Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brig001
Old Hand

#15 Re: Salad Bowl Speakers

Post by brig001 »

With the IKEA ones, I couldn’t glue them together because of whatever they were coated with. I taped a sheet of sandpaper to the floor and put the bowls upside down on it then rubbed them until I had a flat on the rim. Glued easily with pva then

Don’t know what the Wiko bowls are coated with, but I would guess something similar and food grade

Brian