testing

For the three and more legged things
Nick
Site Admin

#16 Re: testing

Post by Nick »

I connected it to gnd. I would try whichever hives you lower self noise.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: testing

Post by Dave the bass »

^^^ Ta.

I've now screened and connected both up and lower case halves to GND, in this case the earthy side of R11 on the PCB. The not-very-pro-looking black insulation tape is just incase the longer legs of the input and output sockets are forced into contact with any casework flexing, unlikely and I noticed a couple of mm clearance but peace of mind is a nice thing.

...and for the 1st time in many many years the Soundcard interface is back together.

Next up, the software. I purchased a key to audT3.0 back when I built mine, I don't know if its still valid or even better if I can transfer it to my replacement laptop that I'd like to use for future measurements, perhaps I should contact the author Mr Ulrich Mueller as it looks lke the software has been updated many times since I initially installed it on my ol laptop.

Is Audiotester 3.0 still a good choice for a newbie or is there another preferred choice nowadays? I'm totally out of my depth here so any advice is welcome.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

#18 Re: testing

Post by Nick »

I don't know, audiotester we certainly great when I used it. Not sure what other is out there. Audacity would be enough to check its all working.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: testing

Post by Dave the bass »

Well, sort of progress. I've got the M-AudioTransit USB drivers to work on my replacement W10 laptop. Ta for the Audacity tip Nick, using freshly downloaded Audacity I can input and output sound through the Transit USB, though I can't get 'in' and 'out' to work at the same time, I don't know if thats me or a bug. I'm not at all familliar using this kind of kit so its a steep learning curve.

Next I need to pluck up courage and connect the Pete MIllet Soundcard interface in and check that it still works OK, I can't seem to find many tutorials presently (and I even spelt things correctly this time :) )

Slow, but progress is being made.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

#20 Re: testing

Post by Nick »

I can't get 'in' and 'out' to work at the same time
I think that may be more of an issue with Audacity,
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: testing

Post by Mike H »

I have Audacity, pretty sure it can't 'play' and 'record' at the same time.

However you can play using a different program and have Audacity record it, or show the level on the input meter. Assuming your hardware allows it. (Loop? Something... can't remember ...)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#22 Re: testing

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Audacity ain't no multi-tracjer for sure. You want blood!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: testing

Post by Mike H »

Fink Dave wants to output a signal to the external doodah under test, then read its output back in to show (record) in Audacity.

If it were me, I've got VLC player so I'd try that for the output.

I also have iTunes....

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#24 Re: testing

Post by simon »

Would REW do that? It does for measuring speakers. And it's my favourite price...
andrew Ivimey

#25 Re: testing

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oh dear, I've scrolled back and can't find 'REW' - What is?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#26 Re: testing

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:36 pm Oh dear, I've scrolled back and can't find 'REW' - What is?
https://www.roomeqwizard.com/
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey

#27 Re: testing

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Cheers me dear. Is it calibratable? We have a minion to do this in the paediatric booth - anechoic and measured, annually- lovely nothingness where I'm alone with my tinnitus... if it mattered. I've had fun messing with 'hi fi stuff' here , but then a patient comes along and... back to reality.