Swimming the Bosphorus...

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Shed dweller
Location: Somewhere getting hotter with no possibility of rain.

Swimming the Bosphorus...

Post by jack » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:35 pm

So, on July the 22nd I and a few of my colleagues will be swimming from Asia to Europe, across the Bosphorus strait - 5.7km of open water. My 60th birthday present to myself.

Why am I doing this? I'm not a good swimmer, don't like swimming in salt water or open water, i.e. the sea, and can't really do decent freestyle...

Why is freestyle important? Because we only have 2 hours max to do this, so breast stroke is not an option - the shipping is stopped for just that window, after which there's some big stuff coming down at you.

I've been training for months - swimming a mile most mornings, 2 miles on the weekends. Up at 04:30 for coaching sessions before work. Basically, trying to make sure I don't drown. If you're running and get cramp, need a drink or just a breather, you can simply stop. Not an option here...

However, it's all in an excellent cause - raising money to fight modern day slavery via The Freedom Fund - in the last few years we've impacted the lives of 390,000 people. Please take a few minutes to read up a bit about what this wonderful organisation achieves.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/legatumswimsquad - every bit of support helps. Every single bit...

Thanks!

Ray P
Shed dweller

Re: Swimming the Bosphorus...

Post by Ray P » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 am

Awesome, I'll sort something out shortly Nick.

BTW, are you aware that JustGiving takes a cut of the donations? That's why I use BT MyDonate.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/famil ... sing-sites

Ray

jack
Shed dweller

Post by jack » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:21 am

Ray P wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 am
Awesome, I'll sort something out shortly Nick.

BTW, are you aware that JustGiving takes a cut of the donations? That's why I use BT MyDonate.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/famil ... sing-sites
Top man, Ray!

I'm not doing the site - the whole website & stuff is done by our Comms team (and the charity itself), but I will point that out to them. (Virgin are 2%, Just Giving is 5% and BT MyDonate don't charge, i.e. 0%).

Michael L
Old Hand

Post by Michael L » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:47 pm

I think this is an extremely worthy cause. Good luck with the swim.

jack
Shed dweller

Post by jack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:57 am

Thanks guys - it's appreciated...