Pls design WAFable speakers from FE108sigma

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Bipole metronome springs to mind

Maybe ask Dave Dlugos (Planet10) he's the expert on bipoles for this particular speaker design. I'm OK on the "normal Met" but bipoles
are a different execution of the Metronome concept.
Here be the secret receipe (shh .. don'y tell anyone) ... double the cross-section.

dave
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Thank you Dave. What I thought.

I don't know the meaning of peoples' terminology on this thread, bipole is a foreign language to me.

I don't want a driver facing rear up or sidewase.

I am starting to picture the pair of drivers side by side with double the standard width in a voigt pipe with no clever names or shapes; simple to build.

The Japanese horn looked great top me but job not worth that much complexity, and I can't afford the cost of paying someone like Collin to make me them.

Thank you all for the ideas though.

Plenty of people are suggesting other drivers. but when I start with the premise of what knowledge I have of the pleasentness in the sound of drivers. I would have to use either the 108's or some 8" German vintage field coils. I might actually forget the 108's and put the field coils in a voigt pipe. they sound great in a Briggs baffle but Briggs shape isn't Wafolitious. (Not sure which vowels suit that newly minted word best so I added a few of the likely candidates. If anyone has a preferered spelling please advise?)

The James et al alteration to the baffle shape doesn't quite sound as good to me as the conservative direct copy of Briggs shape which I have tried and loved. But maybe the best compromise is the James et al baffle shape slightly narrowed to make it wafacalafragalisticexpialidotious in the lounge, and support it with a sub.

Probably better than the original metronomes at bass.
Audio_Works
User

Post by Audio_Works »

Paul Barker wrote: I am starting to picture the pair of drivers side by side with double the standard width in a voigt pipe with no clever names or shapes
Besides a horn i think its the best way to go. You will have the advantages of a proper sized pipe and more output.
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

Having two drivers both radiating high frequencies will cause an interference pattern as you move off-axis.

I think you might be better off using the second one as a 0.5 way driver, bringing it in around the baffle step region.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes I thought that would spoil the party. Might just make a single driver 8" voigt pipe.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote:Yes I thought that would spoil the party. Might just make a single driver 8" voigt pipe.
What you mean like this one ?

sorry.... couldn't resist :lol:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Laurence
I am not a user, I am a free man

Post by Laurence »

SteveTheShadow wrote:
Paul Barker wrote:Yes I thought that would spoil the party. Might just make a single driver 8" voigt pipe.
What you mean like this one ?

sorry.... couldn't resist :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

If you're able to make a mess-about test box, you could try them horizontally and vertically orientated, and see how much different it makes.

You might find the small centre-to-centre distance means the lobing and comb filtering is pushed high enough that you don't notice it much/at all. Only one way to find out :)
ed
retired

Post by ed »

if you're serious Paul I have a number of pairs of cabinets that I used for experiments with 8" drivers. All are tunable for low Q drivers. All £50 to be collected. They would need baffle plate to fit new drivers unless what you had in mind was exactly the same size as my mules.

examples here under vofo:

http://www.vitalstates.org/hma/gallery/hma-gallery.htm

Phil, the cheque is in the post.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Thank you Ed I'll take you up on that.

I am away a lot at the moment. In Swindon all next week. Perhaps I will have time off between Christmas and New Year if you will be home. Otherwise some time next year would be fine by me.

I have forgoten your address can you pm it with a phone no. please?