Frugal Horn Mk3 builds

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

Thanks Dave. If you, as the 'Master' as far as I am concerned think it is OK, then who am I to argue? :D

I will look into the price of the wood.
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

planet10 wrote: Image

dsve
Aaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh! My eyes hurt! Too busy.........The Patterns........Don't look into the centre..... you'll never escape the grasp.......aaaaaaeeeeerrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

This easier Dave?

2 kinds of locust. Glows under a black lite.

So do the drivers:

dave
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

DaveD I must say I do like the look of those solid wood Fonkens.

Made by Chrisby? If so he's done a top pro job on the cabinets.

So, for reference, from your experiments with solid hardwoods what's the general verdict on different species of timber?
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Toppsy wrote: Made by Chrisby? If so he's done a top pro job on the cabinets.
Bernie. My solid wood guy.
So, for reference, from your experiments with solid hardwoods what's the general verdict on different species of timber?
Not enuff data yet. The Western red cedar is very surprising... we are trying to work out a uFonkenSET flat-pak. then a small run for field testing.

dave
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Back on topic... a full build of a flat-pak we did for a client (he has a pair he himeself built from a FP)

http://blog.dmx.com/2012/03/21/sxsw-bar ... el-lounge/

dave
chrisby
User

#457 working with solid

Post by chrisby »

chrisb can blast together a quickie plywood box with the best of them, and maybe tart up with some veneer, but does not have the patience or skill to achieve the artistry in sold woods exemplified by Bernie or Scott Dunn

he's also wont to refer to himself in the 3rd person
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

Just a thought, does anyone know a source of good quality outriggers for the FH3? I was thinking maybe something in metal. :D
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex
floppybootstomp
Old Hand

Post by floppybootstomp »

aquapiranha wrote:Just a thought, does anyone know a source of good quality outriggers for the FH3? I was thinking maybe something in metal. :D
Colin (Toppsy) can supply them I believe. For my outriggers I bought some strips of mild steel from Wickes, sprayed them black and fitted accoustic spikes to them.

To keep them in place I used some M8 threaded wood inserts Link and as that supplier didn't supply bolts to suit I bought a box of M8 bolts from Screwfix.
Relevant boxes ticked - certified loony
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

floppybootstomp wrote:
aquapiranha wrote:Just a thought, does anyone know a source of good quality outriggers for the FH3? I was thinking maybe something in metal. :D
Colin (Toppsy) can supply them I believe. For my outriggers I bought some strips of mild steel from Wickes, sprayed them black and fitted accoustic spikes to them.

To keep them in place I used some M8 threaded wood inserts Link and as that supplier didn't supply bolts to suit I bought a box of M8 bolts from Screwfix.
That was quick! many thanks for the reply, I was wondering how to best fit them to the speaker and now I know! I am still waiting patiently for the drivers to arrive, and then I will have to decide whether or not to use solid ash or just what I am used to and get some decent ply. :roll:

Thanks again, Steve
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex
chrisby
User

Post by chrisby »

if Colin is still offering his outriggers complete with spikes, go for it

we has some done locally ( i.e. the Pacific NorthWet) - CNC milled 6mm aluminum, & powder coated, by the time you add spikes/ tiptoes / whatever, they need to sell for at least $70 per set.
planet10
Old Hand

#462 Re: working with solid

Post by planet10 »

chrisby wrote:chrisb can blast together a quickie plywood box with the best of them
We had to make a wooden packing crate and pallette the speakers to go to Texas. The fellow at the receiving end said they probably would have survived an airdrop (personally i'd be fearful of the magnets snapping off)

dave
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Probably not worth shipping to the UK, but we are currently in the midst of swapping a built set for a substanial number of CNCed aluminum bars for FH3 outriggers.

dave
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

chrisby wrote: we has some done locally ( i.e. the Pacific NorthWet) - CNC milled 6mm aluminum, & powder coated, by the time you add spikes/ tiptoes / whatever, they need to sell for at least $70 per set.
A set is for 1 speaker BTW. The rather nice pointy bits from PE are half the cost (and at cost), as a favour for Canadian customers mostly

dave
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Question from the tubby kid at the back of the class...

"Ooo... Oooo.... Question for DaveD and Chrisby.

What effect on the sound does the Suprabaffle have on the sound Sir? Whassitallabout?"

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"