Frugal Horn Mk3 builds

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

I thought the Mk 3 was designed for the new version FE126 ?

Dave (and Colin and me) have the "old" version.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Scott,

it was DTB who fancied a Mk1 pair for his EnABLed FE126eN blue cone jobbies.
Still tempted to build a pair of fully-complicated Mk1's with Supra-Doopra dog collar Baffle and bell's n whistles.
But yes I agree with you even if it were only for the look of the new version.. But then who has listened to both Mk1 and Mk3 cabinets with the old 126 drivers?
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

I thought the Mk 3 was designed for the new version FE126 ?

Dave (and Colin and me) have the "old" version.
I shall say this again. The Mk3 cabinets are far more flexible to tuning for different drivers and have been successfully tested with several 3" and 4" FR drivers. I'm sure the 'old' FE126 will work perfectly well in the new design with perhaps some tweeking of the internal damping to control the bass.

Perhaps, Scott and DaveD will back me up with this?

I'm only going to use the new FE126En driver as this dosen't need the cone treatment to smooth out the 5K (?) peak the old driver.
Last edited by Toppsy on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

deleted
Last edited by Scottmoose on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I have split off the digression that this thread turned into into its own thread. it was suggested that I delete the extra, but I would prefer not to. The split thread can be left to die on on own, or not. But this can now continue to talk about Colin's new builds (or not :-))
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

deleted
Last edited by Scottmoose on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Scott,

if you are referring to the finish on the ash veneer they are just polished with neutral Fine Paste Wax Black Bison furniture polish.

A really thick coat rubbed well into the bare grain of the veneer, left to dry then buffed up with a lint free cloth. Must say I'm rather pleased with the finish.

I'll give them an extra coating of wax in a week or so.
Last edited by Toppsy on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Andrew wrote
Top job as usual, Colin, how do they sound?
Apart from the compilment, thanks Andrew, you wanted to know how they sound. Well............................................

Yesterday I managed to complete the second cabinet sufficient to be able to install the driver listening purposes. Just need to wrap the ouside with some ash veneer but that won't affect the sound.

So in a word (or two) they sound bloody good. Me thinks DTB's 'best speaker in the world for 4" FR' may just have been toppled (SWIDT) off it's perch.

I had to raise them about 1" off my carpeted suspended floor to help tame some bass boom but apart from that they really excelled beyound my expectations. Bass may still require a little more internal damping but apart from that they sound excellent throughout the whole frequency spectrum. And the soundstage is huge arc between the speakers. They are just as impressive seated or standing as the main singer appears about 6-ft above floor level as though they were standing in front of you.

But these MA CHP70 drivers in this cabinet design are a 4" FR match in heavon.

For Colin Hepburn, this combination would be an ideal match for his room layout. With the CHP70's they do not require corner loading to achieve deep tuneful bass. High frequencies, though not as good as a super tweeter has sparkle and the midrange for such a small driver is richer than I expected. I like this little driver.

I'll hold off any further internal damping for a week to allow the cabinets and drivers to settle in, then invite a few mates around for comments and tweeking tests.

Like a lot of speakers I suspect they will not excel to their best at Owston. We'll see.............
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Toppsy wrote:Me thinks DTB's 'best speaker in the world for 4" FR' may just have been toppled (SWIDT) off it's perch.
Gadzooks Sah!

Toppsy wrote:
Like a lot of speakers I suspect they will not excel to their best at Owston. We'll see.............
Ha!

Heheheheheheheheheheh :lol:

Nah, really looking forward to hearing them Colin.

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Though I stated these may just be the best small floorstander speakers in the world for 4" drivers, in fact they are only 70mm cones, which makes them all that more remarkable. Even though they only have a rated SPL 85dB I am playing these through my DC Coupled 6EM7 SET integrated amp which goes plenty loud enough without running out of steam. This only produces around 1W. So the cabinets must be doing something special. :?:

We'll have to see how the Fostex FE126En versions pan out. That is when I can scrape the funds together for the drivers. :(

Should also have stated NICE ONE SCOTT AND DAVE and to boot they have great WAF.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

According to the data sheet the hole cut size is 104mm (100mm for my 126) so it's not far off. :wink:

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Toppsy wrote:
We'll have to see how the Fostex FE126En versions pan out. That is when I can scrape the funds together for the drivers. :(

Should also have stated NICE ONE SCOTT AND DAVE and to boot they have great WAF.
Will be very interested to hear how the Fostex version sounds Colin. :)

Edmund Burke

Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Well the data sheet for the new FE126En says a 104mm hole same as the CHP70.

Only difference is the Fostex doesn't require the 124mm dia x 6mm rebate for the frame.

Yes the comparison should be interesting. Anyone want to sponser me to the tune of £100 so I can buy the Fostex drivers :?: :wink: :lol:

Could do them a special deal on the finished cabinets.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Now, who do we know that's got a brand new pair of (old type) Fostex 126 sitting in the cupboard doing nothing ? :wink: :lol:

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote:Now, who do we know that's got a brand new pair of (old type) Fostex 126 sitting in the cupboard doing nothing ? :wink: :lol:
Who dat? :-)

I think Colin's after the modern new Fostex versions isn't he?

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"