Cathode-Coupled Amplifiers

If they glow, this is the place to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Cathode-Coupled Amplifiers

Post by Mike H »

I was remarking to DTB last night, after we'd been messing with his 6EW7 designs, I fancied trying a cathode-coupled configuration because I don't think I've seen one actually being used in any amplifier designs I've seen. And I was wondering why not.

It's one of those 'building block' type configurations typically shown in text books, showing common cathode, cathode follower, cathodyne type follower, common grid amp, cascode, and cathode-coupled.

Only ever seen in real circuits as a long-tailed pair phase-splitter.

Only reason I can think why not is cost, manufacturers' costing departments probably can't see why an extra valve should be added that "apparently doesn't do much".

Unless amyone else can think of a reason :?:

Attachments
vfig26.gif
vfig26.gif (1.97 KiB) Viewed 2429 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Though in a LTP both triodes have loads unlike the cathode follower in this circuit. The Transcendental grounded grid preamp uses such a shape, though the second triode is part of a SRPP in that its got a active load.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

OK so not a complete dead loss then? :D

I was going to use a transformer for 'RL'

Plus, I figured if a negative supply can be configured for 'Rk', then it's got more "elbow room" to work in and gain will be better.

The premise for this idea was that if RL is an interstage transformer to feed the o/p stage grid then there's no caps at all in the signal path.

An alternative to trying to DC couple stages by other means that involve some cathode(s) having to be offset to high Volts.

:?:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."