Hi All from aquapiranha

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
aquapiranha
User

#1 Hi All from aquapiranha

Post by aquapiranha »

Hello, I came here as I know one or two already here and /i hope I can contribute. Steve
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Welcome, Steve.

-- Andrew
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

Thanks Andrew.
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Steve, welcome to our group.

It may help if you let us know which neck of the woods you live.

--Colin
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

Hi colin. I live not too far away from you, on the wirral.

I suppose I should have mentioned my equipment...

Modded (slightly) Arcam Alpha 5 CD
Decware CSP / Zen (in the classifieds, to be replaced with???)
Sachiko / Fostex FE206eN

Thanks
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Ah! I see you have a pair the Sachiko speakers but with the FE206eN drivers.

I have recently built a pair these speakers for Andrew but with the Fostex 208eSigma. These really, really rock but for me are too large and heavy.

Pity you weren't around at the time I had them down here to compare the two drivers in this design.

If you are looking for a new amp to drive these speakers they sound wonderful on my little 6EM7 SE integrated amp (around 1.5W) and even better on Andrew's SPUD amp. Both easy to build from scratch.

--Colin
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

Toppsy wrote:Ah! I see you have a pair the Sachiko speakers but with the FE206eN drivers.

I have recently built a pair these speakers for Andrew but with the Fostex 208eSigma. These really, really rock but for me are too large and heavy.

Pity you weren't around at the time I had them down here to compare the two drivers in this design.

If you are looking for a new amp to drive these speakers they sound wonderful on my little 6EM7 SE integrated amp (around 1.5W) and even better on Andrew's SPUD amp. Both easy to build from scratch.

--Colin
They sound great! I am about to start an OB build, 4 X Alphas and the Fostex's (or maybe something else) and may need a little more power, hence the sale of my Decwares. Plus, I am on a...ermmm. budget, shall we say and have to watch the cost!

Steve
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

With those speakers, well they're begging for a DIY Spud amp, I mean with 8-9 watts (300B) they'll deafen you (but with wonderful dynamic range). However, 2 watts, or so, is a very nice place to start and, as Colin and Nick will vouch, its still goes plenty loud.

cheers,

-- Andrew
aquapiranha
User

Post by aquapiranha »

I will be running with an active crossover (Rane AC22B) and so will need an amp for mid/top and one for bass, able to drive the 4 Alphas. I am looking at Tripath at the moment , having had them oin the past. Of course, if anyone has a couple of valve amps going cheap...or a swap for the decware...

:D
Steve.

FLAC / Tripath / Fostex