Can you have a listen to.

Subjects that don't have their own home
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Dave the bass wrote:
TBH unless I'd heard them side by side I probably wouldn't have heard the difference.
Me neither.

Chris :)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote:Trying 211 driving 211 made it clear that the noise levels of DC supplies can have a huge affect. And I think the simple three pin reg is possibly the worst way of creating DC. More work to do...
FWIW I went the "discretes" route simply cos of not having any high power reg IC's handy. Turned out a bit more complicated in the end so did need a few extra bits buying in the end, couldn't all be done out of the spares boxes.

This what I'm using at the mo:

Not exactly the same since the ones I'm using (prototypes?) have extremely tedious-to-make transistor CCS's in place of the CRD's. But same principle.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

What sort of noise level are you getting from that?

I like the idea of the fet-lington that Teddy Pardo is using in his regulators, makes life a lot simpler. I am starting to wonder if a global feedback solution is needed for heater supplies, given that the load is constant, and 3% accuracy is more than enough.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Think it was something like <10mV ripple but can't remember accurately. Still needed the 1000uF added across the o/p though, maybe just cos of the long connecting cables.

Presume you mean white noise, hiss, then zip. None. Even with no cap across the o/p. Pretty sure that was right. 'Scope was right down to 10mV/cm anyway, just got the ripple IIRC.

There was the odd problem with RF parasitic oscillations, which is what the 100pF is for. But then that's using a CA3046 array which I don't recommend as it's got an fT up into the VHF band. Which makes it a mite unstable. Pretty sure they weren't like that in the early days, must've changed the specs!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

If anyone is interested there is a sample2.flac in the same place, this has got 2.5% modulation.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

ahhhh

If anyone is interested there is a sample2.flac in the same place, this has got 2.5% modulation.
is this what you started to ask me about at eggy, but never managed to finish the conversation.....If I recall somebody came and collared you in mid sentence.....????
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

ed wrote:ahhhh

is this what you started to ask me about at eggy, but never managed to finish the conversation.....If I recall somebody came and collared you in mid sentence.....????
Can't remember.