TT Plinths

Subjects that don't have their own home
Neal
Shed dweller

#1 TT Plinths

Post by Neal »

With the continuing uncertainty surrounding our fav slate plinth supplier I came across this co. whilst browsing:

http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/Products/plinths.html

Not cheap at all even with a favorable exchange rate but may be of interest to somebody.
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

Darren had a little spat with Jonathan Weiss, due to some ideas allegedly being "borrowed". At least JW is still in business. It would be useful to know what's happened to Slatedeck.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Berwyn Slate in Wales will do you a slate deck plinth from the same material Darren used to use. They quoted me around £650 (if memory serves) for a twin 30mm deck fully finished for a 401 and CNC cut. You just need a CAD drawing for them to work from. Of which I have a CAD drawing of the one I used should any member be interested in a copy?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Toppsy wrote:Berwyn Slate in Wales will do you a slate deck plinth from the same material Darren used to use.
And there lies the problem I think Colin - available from source cheaper than Darren.

Glad you found the 401 CAD drawing useful :).
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Yes Agreed Simon.

You can even get the exact same spiked feet that Darren used from ebay supplier.
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

For sure Darren complained that a supplier of his was selling his design direct to the public. Even if Darren's been wronged I hope that anyone owed money either receives the goods or money back.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Therein is the problem I imagine: it depends on how you define a 'design.' Does a piece of slate of x thickness cut to fit y turntable count as a design? Probably not -I can't see any way it could be patented for e.g., and given that TT plinths have to share some basic features, you likely wouldn't get very far with a dimension-based argument either.

Depends on what the contract was between the parties involved. If there was no undertaking on either side not to supply anything similar to 3rd parties, then my suspicion would be that the legal-eagles would simply state something to the effect that 'anyone can cut a piece of slate to dimensions that are in the public domain.'
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

I don't expect there is anything much illegal here, it's just not very moral of Berwyn Slate. Then again neither is what has happened to Lui.

No MPs involved this time, or at least I assume not!
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

Here's a cheaper alternative they haven't had much feedback yet but what they have is positive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Slate-plinth-Garr ... 1|294%3A50
YNWaN
User

Post by YNWaN »

I'm not at all sure that Darren can complain that somebody else has produced a piece of slate with a hole in it shaped to take a turntable. If I glue four bits of ash into a frame can Linn complain that they use this 'technology' to make a plinth?

Lets be absolutely honest now - a 'slate plinth' is just a slab of slate with a shaped hole in it (well two holes). The double tier one has some turned brass feet (which can be purchased from eBay).
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, but I think in this case the people producing it were the same people who had been previously paid by Darren to produce for Slatedeck, and so had had the designed and details from Darren.

Now I don't know if what they are producing was original work or based on Darrens work, and even if it was it would be hard to prove. But it was just a bit more than "somebody else has produced a piece of slate with a hole in it shaped to take a turntable"
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.