What i have ended up with

For anything about cans, and the amplifiers that drive them
Ant
Shed dweller

#16 Re: What i have ended up with

Post by Ant »

Thanks for the offer ray, but to be honest, even with my above musings on 45s im very unlikely to actually build anything even if i do buy some sort of kit or try to design something.
Im just out of the game when it comes to making stuff

That may come back at some point (hopefully) we shall see
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#17 Re: What i have ended up with

Post by simon »

Thanks for giving it a listen and the feedback. Good to know it's a decent performer, it'll do me for the occasional listening I do until one day I maybe build a valve HPA.

I wonder if it might be worth trying something else instead of some of the Wima PP coupling caps, maybe that might improve the top end?
Ant
Shed dweller

#18 Re: What i have ended up with

Post by Ant »

Probably more of a preference thing to be honest simon, i always blather on about things being 'clean' and settled on pass amps. I do like a bit of valvey goodness though

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#19 Re: What i have ended up with

Post by Ray P »

Ant wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:14 pm Thanks for the offer ray...
No worries Ant.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ant
Shed dweller

#20 Re: What i have ended up with

Post by Ant »

Been listening to this rig with a(nother) change for a while now. I got hold of a jds labs el dac 2+, fed it with the optical out of the wiim mini.

The main rig has a topping e30 in the same position.

The jds does all the usual things that dacs do these days, accepts usb coax and optical. doesnt have anything superfluous, just a button to switch between inputs and turn it off, and thats it. No displays or anything fancy.

Higher bitrates and dsd are handled by the usb, the optical is good for lower bitrate stuff. Looks like the usb bit is where the money is spent.

Anyway, i dont have any hi res files or the more expensive tidal subscription that plays them, and im not sure if it will do mqa unpacking anyway.
Largely irrelevant in my case. I know the topping does mqa so if i did decide i wanted to spend more hard earned on the subscription i can if i feel like it.

This thing is very very good indeed. It disappears, i cant tell if it has a particular tone/sound of its own. The nicest thing is that after a few weeks on and off listening to it is that it really does sound natural. It doesnt have that slightly digital feel to it that the topping does. But then it is twice the price of that one. an affordable dac that disappears is something i didnt think i would come across with my budget. Which seems to have been ignored. Well, im happy enough with what many would consider a modest headphone system, and i think id have to spend quite a bit more if i wanted objectively better.

It still seems a bit arse backwards that the better of the dacs in the house is not in the main rig, but hey ho.