what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1186 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Dave the bass »

Thanks Nick, will do, I'll report back with findings.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1187 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by vinylnvalves »

Think my head is going to explode… Trying to source a secondhand car after mine was written off ( non structural damage). Apparently now with VAG cars on certain models if it’s not specified when the car is built that you might want to fit a tow bar, the cars come with a VIN plate with GTW =zero. As an uprated cooling systems need to be fitted, we are not talking 1.0 petrols, but 2.0 ltr diesels.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1188 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Damp.

We did our self-build in 2005, so 18/19 years ago, and little things are starting to need looking at.

In one part of the older bit of the oast, where the roundel joins to the barn part, we have some damp in a cupboard. Not much, but the plaster in there is "popping" and it has to be dealt with.

We eschewed going straight to a "damp company" as they tend to specify lots of remedial requirements, some of which may be unnecessary, as they just want to sell services, i.e. they are biased.

So today we had an independent damp consultant in - it's a few 100 quid but they have absolutely no dog in the fight, so are completely honest about what *actually* needs to be done.

Very interesting talking to them. Here for an hour (some very interesting test kit!), report by end of week.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Max N
Old Hand

#1189 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Max N »

bodes_nebulae_small.jpg
bodes_nebulae_small.jpg (118.64 KiB) Viewed 16219 times
Messier 81 & 82 aka Bode's nebulae. A few hundred million years ago, a close encounter took place between them which deformed the smaller one. Their centres are currently about 150,000 light years apart.
This image was an integration of roughly 70, 5 minute exposures. There was a bright moon which reduced the signal to noise ratio. It was b****y cold but I managed to get the system working so that I could sit indoors for some of the time and monitor the images on my iPad, which was a first for me :D
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1190 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

These photos are extraordinary Max :thumbright:
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1191 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Interesting. A nearby village, Wadhurst, where my in-laws used to have a farm, has a very active astronomy society with a fair number of astrophotographers using pretty fancy kit, including cryogenic cooling on the detectors etc.

We went to a "dark skies" night with them earlier this year and I keep meaning to go to their meetings.

https://wadhurstastro.co.uk/
Max N
Old Hand

#1192 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Max N »

simon wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:29 pm These photos are extraordinary Max :thumbright:
Cheers Simon. The main limitation is good conditions have to align with me not working the next day!
Max N
Old Hand

#1193 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Max N »

jack wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:29 pm Interesting. A nearby village, Wadhurst, where my in-laws used to have a farm, has a very active astronomy society with a fair number of astrophotographers using pretty fancy kit, including cryogenic cooling on the detectors etc.

We went to a "dark skies" night with them earlier this year and I keep meaning to go to their meetings.

I haven’t joined a society yet but I probably should.
As well as enjoying the process of collecting the data, I try to understand the maths used to pull the signal out of the noise.
My next step is to try some narrow-band imaging.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1194 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Mike H »

@ Max, wow! :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1195 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Max - WOW indeed. How....

This morning I took my Tannoy 12inch hpds in big ( appr0priate) cabinets to a place where bigger than GRF, 15 inch with fabulous home designed ( not by me!) crossovers live.

My Tannoys sounded great! ( Tannoys always do) and then Andy connected his speakers up - breath taking - tannoy on steroids and all in the right way.

Ca vas

Back at home I pulled out a tiny pair of AVI things mk3. Total weed.... but... After a while my ears accomodated and, (within 4 inch bass unit) reason they were very pleasant.

But you can't beat speakers that really disturb the air!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Max N
Old Hand

#1196 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Max N »

Mike H wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:21 pm @ Max, wow! :shock:
andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:02 pm Max - WOW indeed. How....
Thanks chaps!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#1197 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ali Tait »

+1 Max, great shots.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1198 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Max N wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:49 pm
jack wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:29 pm Interesting. A nearby village, Wadhurst, where my in-laws used to have a farm, has a very active astronomy society with a fair number of astrophotographers using pretty fancy kit, including cryogenic cooling on the detectors etc.

I haven’t joined a society yet but I probably should.
As well as enjoying the process of collecting the data, I try to understand the maths used to pull the signal out of the noise.
My next step is to try some narrow-band imaging.
Went to the meeting last week of the Wadhurst & Tunbridge Wells Astronomical Society. Very interesting lecture about Richard Carrington, he of the eponymous Carrington Event, which in itself was fascinating.

Audience was a "Certain demographic" and at 65, I was one of the younger attendees. However they were a very interesting and academic group of physicists, engineers, mathematicians & chemists etc. Really nice to be amongst a group of similar minded, if somewhat more superannuated, folk.
Max N
Old Hand

#1199 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Max N »

Sounds like an interesting evening Nick.
One of my local societies is having a stargazing evening at Rutherford Appleton Lab soon. I think I’ll check it out.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1200 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

NWT Holme(s) Dunes - Southside of The Wash. Sunny with powerful NNE wind - bbbbbrrrrrrr but fabulous! Coffee and rock cake helps...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.