Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#676 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

I am a little confused. That article talks about priority for UK production. Exactly what UK production do they mean?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#677 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:32 am I am a little confused. That article talks about priority for UK production. Exactly what UK production do they mean?
JLR for one, and probably Stellantis (Peugeot-Citroen-Vauxhall-Opel-Chrysler-Fiat). Even Aston Martin have an EV factory in Wales.

More to come I would think.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#678 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

One video I saw suggested that in China (Chinese domestic market) BYD Ev cars, supposedly the market leader, were in first place re quality control issues and instances of fires.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#679 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

New Government policy ?

"First, the government would push the ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars - currently set to come into force in 2030 - back to 2035. The 2030 date has been government policy since 2020."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66857551

Edmund Burke

steve s
Shed dweller

#680 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:32 pm One video I saw suggested that in China (Chinese domestic market) BYD Ev cars, supposedly the market leader, were in first place re quality control issues and instances of fires.
There's some interesting utube videos on these phil
It will be interesting to see if they get imported to the UK, I know some tesla's and other know makes are made in China, but with different manufacturing standards.

A mate of mine worked for a uk arm of a US filter company (oil and air )
They invested millions building a new factory in China, it turns out there was also an identical factory being built across the road...
After a little investigation they eventually pulled out before passing on their filter knowledge to the Chinese..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#681 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:46 pm New Government policy ?

"First, the government would push the ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars - currently set to come into force in 2030 - back to 2035. The 2030 date has been government policy since 2020."

Less of a new policy, more of an attempt to appeal to anyone out there bat-shit crazy enough to vote for them again.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#682 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

The automotive industry have already put wheels in motion to retire IC engines, they won’t be be changing their strategies. No elected body with a life span of 5 years really care about environmental stuff where the effects are outside of two terms in parliament.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#683 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Some of my ex uni peers have already left Ford, as they have closed down the power train design business in Europe, as these skills aren’t needed with EV’s.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#684 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Toppsy »

Nick wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:19 am
pre65 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:46 pm New Government policy ?

Less of a new policy, more of an attempt to appeal to anyone out there bat-shit crazy enough to vote for them again.
The problem with that is can you honestly say you can put your faith in Starmer and Rayner running the country? I can't, but unfortunately I see no other alternative political party getting in power with sufficient votes. But I agree we need a change in government.
Nick
Site Admin

#685 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

The problem with that is can you honestly say you can put your faith in Starmer and Rayner running the country?
Yes I can, no problem. Not sure why you would chose bad just because the alternative may not be perfect. Exactly what could Corbyn have done (assuming that, as you distrust Starmer you would feel the same about the previous labour leader) that was worst than the last 5 years of insanity. Just one thing that you think would have been worst than where we are now?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#686 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:03 pm
The problem with that is can you honestly say you can put your faith in Starmer and Rayner running the country?
Yes I can, no problem. Not sure why you would chose bad just because the alternative may not be perfect. Exactly what could Corbyn have done (assuming that, as you distrust Starmer you would feel the same about the previous labour leader) that was worst than the last 5 years of insanity. Just one thing that you think would have been worst than where we are now?
Labour/Conservative. Lesser of two evils.

I'm reminded of a comment on the dismal autumn rugby internationals involving England & Wales. Wales beat England, then England (astonishingly) beat Wales. The two matches were described as two shitty teams trying to out-shit each other...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#687 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

The problem with the lesser of two evils idea is its true for any two values, a = 3, b = 2. b is less than a. a = 3, b = 0, b is still less than a, but in this case also zero. "lesser of two evils" suggests that neither are perfect, but that assumes that the idea of a perfect government (for some value of perfect) exists, and if it did would we notice it?

At the moment I would take just about anyone else.

But still no answer to the one thing that Corbyn would have done that was so bad (not that I asked Jack that question).
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#688 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pm The problem with the lesser of two evils idea is its true for any two values, a = 3, b = 2. b is less than a. a = 3, b = 0, b is still less than a, but in this case also zero. "lesser of two evils" suggests that neither are perfect, but that assumes that the idea of a perfect government (for some value of perfect) exists, and if it did would we notice it?

But still no answer to the one thing that Corbyn would have done that was so bad (not that I asked Jack that question).
He was (at best) a passive antisemite. The Labour Party was actively antisemitic, he denied there was an issue and did nothing. Had he got into power, there's no reason to believe he would have changed. He also had people around him who, whilst maybe well-intentioned, were completely out of their depth/useless. There's a fine line between loyalty to one's comrades and recognition that whilst they may have been on the long march with you, they are not suited for power.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#689 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

jack wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:26 pm
Nick wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pm The problem with the lesser of two evils idea is its true for any two values, a = 3, b = 2. b is less than a. a = 3, b = 0, b is still less than a, but in this case also zero. "lesser of two evils" suggests that neither are perfect, but that assumes that the idea of a perfect government (for some value of perfect) exists, and if it did would we notice it?

He was (at best) a passive antisemite. The Labour Party was actively antisemitic, he denied there was an issue and did nothing. Had he got into power, there's no reason to believe he would have changed. He also had people around him who, whilst maybe well-intentioned, were completely out of their depth/useless. There's a fine line between loyalty to one's comrades and recognition that whilst they may have been on the long march with you, they are not suited for power.
Yep, I will agree with that from how it appears to have been. Though (to add), I asked what he would have done, less so what he was. But I agree that what you mention was a problem. belief informs action and all that.
Nick
Site Admin

#690 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

He also had people around him who, whilst maybe well-intentioned, were completely out of their depth/useless.
I admit it is whataboutism, but if you remove the well-intentioned, it perfectly describes the current government.